Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you do your own taxes without a program?

Yppej
    After calculating they were charging me something like 40% interest on my rapid refund decades ago I have refused to have anyone else prepare or file my taxes for me. I do them on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    After calculating they were charging me something like 40% interest on my rapid refund decades ago I have refused to have anyone else prepare or file my taxes for me. I do them on paper.
    Those rapid refund loans were such a scam.

Just got ours back yesterday from our accountant. $180 was all he charged us for 3 state/3 fed all with self-employment and other things. So worth it. I had a friend once who used one of those pop-up places for their personal and business and I couldn't believe it when I saw the invoice - every extra schedule had it's own fee, every paper had it's own fee. Their bill was over $1000.00 and I knew their business wasn't as complicated as ours (limited to one state whereas at the time we had to file in 8-10 states). It's worth building a long-term relationship. Our accountant was also an artist who went back to accounting after an injury ended his metal art career.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Being a CPA (although not a tax guy by profession), I do my own on paper every year. We have a fairly simple salary/small business situation, so I can get it done in an afternoon. It's so easy even a Republican can do it.

Hi, I have done my tax returns by hand with little difficulty like owing additional taxes due to miscalculation or misinterpretation of the rules which apply to my situation. My income has even increased resulting in greater tax liabilities but I anticipated owing more and put more aside to pay them. For those willing to do their taxes, I highly recommend the J.K. Lasser Guide to Your Taxes. Our town library happens to have it and it gives reliable information and insights into the process of preparing your own return. Bicyclist

One year we hired a CPA to do them because we had sold a few rental properties and had other things that were complicated. It cost 1500. My DH is capable of doing them with or without a program so we went back to doing them ourselves. The last 2 years have been complicated as we have had both lots of medical expenses and business write offs since we both work p.t. from home.

Kind of. We have a farm and several other sources of income so we go to a CPA. I would not even want to try to do my own taxes, too complicated. I used to do my own in the 70's with a pencil, no calculator and did the calculations in my head. My, times have changed.

DW and I went to a CPA the year we married and had two houses, a rental property, my new business, and a short sale. The CPA still does our taxes. When I used to do them with tax software, there was always one weird calculation or someplace I could not figure out where to put a figure, so I wasn't totally sold on using tax software anyway. The CPA found us tax-reduction strategies that I think went way beyond a little bubble popping up on my screen while our return was being completed, so I don't consider paying the CPA much money wasted. I did think about getting a copy of TurboTax or TaxCut this year and plugging in our numbers to see if we could go that route in the future, but I realized with the "reform" foisted on the tax code this year, it would be smart to have a pro address our situation next year, too. Then I'll decide if tax software is worth another go.

I still do my mom's and brother's taxes by hand because their returns were so easy once I figured out what went where. Almost no changes but a few dollars one way or another. But, because of the tax code changes, I may direct them next year to one of those volunteer organizations that prepares returns for the elderly/disabled. And that way they can deal with the procrastination and the "shoe box".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I chickened out and bought Turbo Tax last night when they sent me a half off offer At least now, I can see the forms and how they are coming up with their figures.

Thread Information