Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax reform....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Tax reform....

I am wondering what you'all here think? Given that Trumpcare didn't pass, do you believe that Trump can get some kind of tax reform passed through at this point? There is no snark here for me on this topic - honestly I will be hoping to learn something from all the jockeying and games playing that will be going on here. There will likely be editorial after editorial about this topic in the papers and business magazines at the public library, and since this topic is not survival based, it's not a have two bags prepped at all times and be ready to run kind of thing for me. This makes it much easier for me to step back and absorb and perhaps learn something.

So what do you think the chances are of meaningful tax reform passing? Rob

I think something will pass, if only because the majority party is more in agreement in this area, and it's relatively easy to call even minor adjustments "reform".

I will be willing to bet that whatever is passed will satisfy neither the people who think soaking the rich can fund Utopia while simultaneously making life fair, or small-government dinosaurs who regard bequeathing monster deficits to our children as immoral (like me).

Here is my prediction: Alan will continue to pay, Rob will continue to dip in and out of health benefits provided by Alan, all the while decrying America and lionizing Mexico. Even though for Rob, a ratio of health dollars spent in Mexico to U.S. is something like 1:200 he refuses to acknowledge Alan's contribution.

CathyA wants me to express more "feelings" so here are my feelings: I am angry that Rob continues to bash the real, actual, concrete healthcare provided to him in the U.S. much of that from Alan. His posts feel very much like a guest at a party who complains about the efforts of the host. In that situation as a host I would be surprised and unhappy that my efforts were met with disdain. I would be resentful of that person and would not feel generous about offering more hospitality.

Several times I have thanked Alan for his contribution (now that I am using an ACA health insurance plan) and for my own selfish consideration, I hope Alan continues to pay. P.s. Alan, DH continues to use that commuter airline you subsidize to get him to his small home town in Iowa. Probably Trump will cut that program, and we will be sad that millionaire farmers can no longer fly around on those low low rates.

Who pays for Alan's healthcare in reality? His ex-employer in reality is what I'm thinking is who is paying his bills (ie not him or he might actually have a stake in worrying about healthcare costs). But I don't know, could be the VA, Medicare or wait for it ... an ACA plan! (though without subsidy probably, cut off for a subsidy is really low. A truth is: if they wanted the middle class to like the ACA more, they should have included them in it! I mean duh, but the country is run by those who don't even want their proposals to succeed it sometimes seems)

Yea Rob is not going to leave the country. And if he was just honest about it: I'm not going to leave the country because I want to stay with my mom in her old age rather than leave, I find it utterly unobjectionable and understandable, I'd do the same, not everyone would, citizenship is not always so transferable as all that when one has ties is it? Meanwhile the benefits an American (not a Mexican, their's is just the legitimate experience of being a Mexican citizen for better or worse) experiences of living in Mexico are the legacy of unjustly having a stronger currency in the U.S. than Mexico, probably maintained by much U.S. imperialism.

P.S. if one really wanted to talk about tax reform, I'm going to drop a hint: many people think the healthcare proposal ITSELF was primarily a tax reform bill. It's biggest effects would be to cut tax rates on mostly wealthy people. Of course the effects on poor people would hurt more so it got more focus. But it doesn't mean it would be the largest effect.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 3-27-17 at 1:08pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Several times I have thanked Alan for his contribution (now that I am using an ACA health insurance plan) and for my own selfish consideration, I hope Alan continues to pay. P.s. Alan, DH continues to use that commuter airline you subsidize to get him to his small home town in Iowa. Probably Trump will cut that program, and we will be sad that millionaire farmers can no longer fly around on those low low rates.
    We should vote to send Alan a case of Maker's Mark. With other people's money, of course.

Since the Freedom Caucus seems to want to vote against the sky being blue, I think there maybe problems. There has been talk about T trying to bargain with the democrats to get some of his policies though Congress.

In all of his efforts to streamline government, cut the money bleed, throw things back to the state level, and deconstruct the administrative state, it's interesting government farm subsidies have not been mentioned as some low hanging fruit.

I'm not sure what specifically they plan to reform. Fewer tax brackets? Fewer deductions? Changing rates? If so who pays more and who pays less?

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I'm not sure what specifically they plan to reform. Fewer tax brackets? Fewer deductions? Changing rates? If so who pays more and who pays less?
    I think, like the AHCA, it will involve big tax breaks for the wealthy and less services for anyone who might need them.

At some point though, all those options will run out and they'll need to start raiding the middle class as well.

You don't have to go to Mexico for cheap dental care. I am going to KS soon for implants that cost 33k here and 5k there. Plus the guy has done a ton of them for the last 20 years so lots of experience, etc. Yes I think the wealthy will be helped as usual for the Repub's. I have been to Mexico and you could not pay me to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You don't have to go to Mexico for cheap dental care. I am going to KS soon for implants that cost 33k here and 5k there. Plus the guy has done a ton of them for the last 20 years so lots of experience, etc. Yes I think the wealthy will be helped as usual for the Repub's. I have been to Mexico and you could not pay me to live there.
    I'd be very interested in learnin more about someone in Kansas who does implants so affordably.

Thread Information