Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A cruise?

A cruise?

I am thinking of taking a vacation. I want to go on a cruise.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a divorced middle aged man taking a cruise?

At the moment I am waiting on my passport to get renewed. So I am thinking this option over.

I was told cruises are great for unplugging. No need to have a phone and no need for a computer. You just show up.

They are great for unplugging because you have to sell a kidney to afford what they charge you for internet service.

Is that your main purpose, to unplug?

i just can't visualize you on a typical cruise. Maybe you aren't doing a "typical" one, though.

The only cruise I'm interested in is from Vancouver to Alaska. I think that'd be great. One day.

The European river cruises sound interesting to me. But otherwise, nope.

This is a USA today article about singles cruises to Mexico, some good info there:
    http://traveltips.usatoday.com/mexic...les-43726.html

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Is that your main purpose, to unplug?

i just can't visualize you on a typical cruise. Maybe you aren't doing a "typical" one, though.
    I like unplugging. But going to a foreign place without a cell phone or a computer could be rather problematic in this day-and-age.

I talked to a coworker about it. She said she and her family go purposefully to unplug their cell phones (can't get reception) and to stay off the internet (too costly!). She said this way she and her husband have to actually be together, or if the kids go too then this means they actually have to focus on their kids.

One of my classmates said it is just a good way to relax -- you just show up and get food and beverage. You just walk off the boat and stroll over to a beach. You can hang out at the pool. You can lounge around and read. You get to go to a few different places all at once.

I have never been on a cruise. My parents went on one and my father hated it. Lots of people, touristy places, shows and activities and every time he tried to sit on the deck and read his book, people came over and tried to talk to him. My mom otoh loved it because she loves meeting new people and she loves shows and games and tourist traps.

At least, she loved it at the beginning. But my dad says everybody opens with "what do you do?" He hated his job and he hates the conversations it always leads to, so he told everybody he was a retired math teacher. Only problem was, there was a huge group of teachers on the cruise, and they kept wanting to talk to him about teaching stuff. After 4 days, he told everybody that he lied and started leading with conversation killers. By day 6, nobody would sit with my parents at meals anymore. So then dad was happy and mom was not.

also, be careful to balance your tolerance for economic injustice and environmental damage with your choice of destination, or you may end up depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I have never been on a cruise. My parents went on one and my father hated it. Lots of people, touristy places, shows and activities and every time he tried to sit on the deck and read his book, people came over and tried to talk to him. My mom otoh loved it because she loves meeting new people and she loves shows and games and tourist traps.

At least, she loved it at the beginning. But my dad says everybody opens with "what do you do?" He hated his job and he hates the conversations it always leads to, so he told everybody he was a retired math teacher. Only problem was, there was a huge group of teachers on the cruise, and they kept wanting to talk to him about teaching stuff. After 4 days, he told everybody that he lied and started leading with conversation killers. By day 6, nobody would sit with my parents at meals anymore. So then dad was happy and mom was not.

also, be careful to balance your tolerance for economic injustice and environmental damage with your choice of destination, or you may end up depressed.
    Horrible tragic follies!

I've thought about that Alaska cruise; people who have been on it come back awed. There's also one on the equivalent of a tramp steamer where passengers help with the chores and sleep on the deck. I've forgotten who runs that one, and I don't know if it even still exists.

A lot of cruises now are organized around interests like quilting or a lecture series of some kind. Those might be interesting.

Chicken Lady, I like the sound of your father. My parents were the same combination. They say everyone marries their mother, which explains a lot in my case.

Thread Information