Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A cruise?

The forced socialization with strangers at meals sounds awful to me. I've never gone on a cruise. I do like my solitude. I don't mind a crowd if people let me alone and I can observe from the periphery. Cruises have no way for me to escape. It sounds too much like junior high and high school - forced togetherness.

We went on numerous cruises because it was one of the few trips where hubby got away from work completely and did not have to drive or travel. We did not even get off the ship. It was wonderful and quiet when everyone else was pushing and trying to get into tourist ports and going on overpriced "expeditions". We read, napped, took in some activities, ate great food and had a wonderful time.

If you watch a couple of the online cruise consolidators, you can get cruises for 80% off list price all the time. pm me if you want a recommendation. Now husband does not want to go because he is retired and too busy with all his enjoyable retirement volunteer activities but when we did cruise it was lovely and so easy.

I think my father married the mother he wanted instead of the mother he had. I hope to god my dh did the same!

UA........I don't know. I think you have to be very careful of the type of cruise and the types of people who are drawn to them. If you pick the wrong kind, you might want to jump overboard!
    I think a cruise that is sort of low-keyed, but shows you beautiful things in nature might be better than one like "The Love Boat". And you might meet more similar people with yourself.........or very rich people??
    I would never consider most cruises, but one in Alaska might be tempting.

My husband wants us to do one of the Windjammer cruises http://www.sailmainecoast.com/get-to...lywaAl0N8P8HAQ . I'm not so sure. Tiny quarters with only cold water in most of them and sailing stresses me out. A boyfriend took me once in a small sailboat and we had a hard time getting out to open water and actually hit another boat! I think I could pick and choose and enjoy a large cruise but I'd probably have to go alone or with a few girlfriends, DH has no interest at all. But my idea of getting away is renting a cabin or casita alone and creating my own agenda. Cruise ships keep a tight schedule and I think the unloading/loading and time requirements at each port would bug me. I think it's hard to really "experience" the port/island/culture because those communities tend to come alive when the ship nears....they want your money.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

How about a dude ranch out west?

Not all cruises are created equal. Each cruise line draws a certain kind of person and the time of year you go will determine a lot as far as age group. Many want a tropical experience and others mention Alaska. I'm not a fan of the mega ships. I don't need water slides or a mini golf course. I'm going to chill an relax. River cruises are a different animal entirely.
    We have been on several, all different. When my son was younger we did two down each coastline of Mexico. It was spring break and there were other families with kids. We enjoyed sitting with the other families we met (at dinner) and the kids entertained each other. First time we did things off the boat. The second time we didn't. In port everybody gets off and you have the place to yourself. I will say that it always surprises me how many places there are (other than your room) to be by yourself if you choose. We always bring cards and games and can find little nooks and crannies to play on inside and outside upper decks. We have never been approached by people trying to talk to us. Our last cruise was very different from any we had taken before. We had a table for two each night, no conversation with any one if we didn't want it. We never cared what anybody did for a living but it was always fun to find out where people were from.
    They are very relaxing. I always sleep like the dead. There is a level of luxury that you will never find elsewhere for the money you are spending. I have found a deal on each one and have not paid more than $100 per person/per day. You do as much or as little as you want. Be around people or engage in a solitary pursuit. Our last was the Pacific coast from Vancouver BC to San Diego. It was our first time trying one since DH had his stroke five years ago. I found such a deal we couldn't say no. I think it was $60 per person/per day. Unfortunately it whipped up his vertigo between ports. It was last fall, perfect weather in each port and had fun in each one. No kids because they were all in school. The food was amazing. I could give a list of pros and cons because there are both. It all depends on what you want.

this would have been perfect for you but it sailed March 16. Maybe they will have another one like it?

https://www.meetup.com/critical/events/229478357/

We really love cruising. We have been on 4 in the past 2 years. WE like to eat with people but they do have tables for 2 if people prefer to be alone. There are a ton of activities to do and you can do them or not. For instance my DH has sung in the choir, took an acting class, etc. Lots of time for privacy if you prefer and pools, hot tubs, etc are so nice. I don;t understand why people don't get off at the ports because it would seem to me that sightseeing or taking a tour would be one of the reasons for going. We have met lots of great people. CL: if I was your Mom I would have pushed your DAd overboard. The night entertainment is always fabulous and so much to choose from. We always take RC. We took Princess once and it was not a good experience. I would research the age groups that tend to take cruises with certain lines. I have heard many times that Carnival is a bunch of very drunk young people so we avoid them. We have been to Alaska, the Caribbean twice and in Sept are going to Boston through New England and then to Canada. River cruises cost about 3x's as much as regular cruises so we don't take them. We would rather go more often.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    They say everyone marries their mother...
    I'd rather stay single and lonely.

Thread Information