Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We never go for less then a week because there is so much to do on a cruise. The longest we took was 2 weeks and that was awesome. If you get bored on a big ship you are not looking at your daily cruise letter that has so many things to do that it is not possible to do them all. We have been taking 2 cruises/year the past few years.
    It is pretty likely I WOULD be bored on a big boat, that is why I don't cruise. Any activity or entertainment seems to be antiseptic or not my thing.

Big boat, warm waters, open sea for days, Caribbean countries = not very interesting to me.

I would be more likely to take one of the European river cruises.

Besides the Caribbean we have taken one to Alaska and in the fall will see New England and Canada. The river cruises cost about 3x's the price of a big ship and don't have enough things to do. BTW the entertainment is fabulous on these cruises. In addition to the big show each night there are many lounges that offer very different types of entertainers so if you don't like one you just move on to the next. We don't cruise when we go to Europe because I want to be immersed in the local culture, food, etc. I figure that when I am going all that way I don't want to be on a ship.

Urm, see, I don't like traditional "shows" and if there is singing and dancing, count me out. I could probably enjoy a variety of stand up comedians, however. Truthfully I don't know much about on ship entertainment so maybe I am wrong, I picture a lot of it being lounge singers, and singalongs by senior citizen audience members dressed in sparkly tops. Not my thing.

The river cruises provide stop offs in great old European cities, so that is what attracts me as entertainment.

i was on a big ship as a teenager crossing from Southampton to NYC and that was all the big ship stuff I want to do.

But in the end, I would just rather get a hotel room and use my own two feet and trains to get around a city.

I never had any interest in a cruise for most of my life, mainly because of ILs description of it. Then a bunch of our friends started touting the wonders of cruises, including cheap entertainment and tons of food. For my part, I liked the part about no one being able to reach me (that's probably changed by now).

So, I'm open to it. But I would prefer the Viking River Cruises, which are a LOT more expensive than the Cruises for the Masses.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Food all the time seems kind of yuck on a cruise, a sure way to gain ten lbs.

our friends who travel a LOT went on one of the Rhine River cruises, one that was supposed to have exemplarary food. She said it wasn't that great, it was probably "great" for people who don't know food very well. She isn't a snob, she is just a very good cook, well traveled, and she hangs out with a lot of friends who are good cooks.

The food on Royal Caribbean is excellent in the formal dining room. It is good in the buffet. WE never gain any weight but we not only keep up our regular exercise routine but we usually do extra so we can eat a little more. We always meet some great people to hang out with. People either love it or hate it. WE took Princess once and never again. The food and service was not nearly as good.

Thread Information