Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosmetic Pharmacology

Yppej

Cosmetic Pharmacology

Has anyone tried this? (The legal kind.) I am going to give it a shot. Strike 1 in my job search is the stigma of being out of work, strike 2 is my combination of age and gender, and strike 3 the bias in the American workplace in favor of extroversion. I can't do anything about 1 and 2, but 3 I might be able to alter my introverted personality. I told the doctor I should only need to do this until I land a job, prove myself, and get through my 90 day probationary period. Enter Prozac.

I would be more inclined to look for jobs where introversion is more common--like certain IT positions. But I'm very wary of drugs, and I'm happy with my curmudgeonly personality. I've never heard of anyone using Prozac for just that purpose; let us know how it works.

I'm not sure I understand, but I'll give it a shot. Some people can take mind drugs (legal) with good results. I, and many others, find that they can be terrifying.......to get used to, but worse......to get off of. I would be very careful.

I did prozac for a while postpartum depression so this was 19 years ago. I think the longest effect it had on me was I lost the drive to get things done. I use to never procrastinate but I do now. An example: when a bill arrived I'd pay it immediately now I tend to wait till right up to the due date. I'm not sure that would be a good motivator for me finding a new job so really research the side-effects.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I would be more inclined to look for jobs where introversion is more common--like certain IT positions.
    this is how I have survived. Though it's still better maybe to be more extroverted in the interview itself. And maybe a bit more friendly than I tend to be. But introverted jobs have allowed me to live (support myself), which would be a lot harder with extroverted jobs (I tried one and failed miserably at it - didn't want to fail but did - and paid for it and then some, took me quite awhile to even recover career wise - though I did learn some skills from it). Other intros have tried extroverted jobs and also not done well either, some spectacular career failures due to such things.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I thought accounting was a career for introverts, but I am still running into the expectation for peppy and bubbly. And even Cisco an IT company has on their LinkedIn today photos of employees jumping in the air and gushing about how great the company is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    this is how I have survived. Though it's still better maybe to be more extroverted in the interview itself. And maybe a bit more friendly than I tend to be. But introverted jobs have allowed me to live (support myself), which would be a lot harder with extroverted jobs (I tried one and failed miserably at it - didn't want to fail but did - and paid for it and then some, took me quite awhile to even recover career wise - though I did learn some skills from it). Other intros have tried extroverted jobs and also not done well either, some spectacular career failures due to such things.
    I can't imagine the pain it must cause to force yourself to be someone you just aren't. I carp about my old job a lot, but it really was well-suited to me in many ways, and enabled me to support myself decently. I'm glad you've found something that worked for you, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I thought accounting was a career for introverts, but I am still running into the expectation for peppy and bubbly. And even Cisco an IT company has on their LinkedIn today photos of employees jumping in the air and gushing about how great the company is.
    One grandfather was an accountant; I didn't inherit those genes, unless you consider editing a form of verbal accounting. My sis aced her accounting classes though.

Re peppy and bubbly--ewww. I feel for my poor mother, who really, really wanted a peppy, bubbly daughter. She once suggested I consider being a "weather girl" on TV. I laughed out loud even typing that.

Are there job coaches who specialize in introverts? Maybe they could offer some tips. I know there are books that address your concerns. Is it just my imagination, or do companies expect more of this shtick from their female employees?

Yppej
    They absolutely expect it more from females, and even random strangers in places like supermarkets have told me "Oh, you dropped something - a smile" or tell me to smile which I have heard said to other women too but never to other men. At my last job several women adopted the phrase "I really am happy I just have a resting bitch face" to defend themselves from the accusation they were not being positive enough. Men never had to do this even if they had a serious demeanor.

One of the big reasons I quit my corporate job was because my boss made me fire one of my project managers whose main "shortcoming" was her introversion and social awkwardness. We had put her on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) and she worked her butt off, and I was more than happy to have her continue to work for me, but my boss (male) saw differently and demanded I fire her.

The day I fired her I told her that I had just quit (which I had and it gave me great satisfaction).

I'm sorry you have to bolster yourself with Prozac, but if it helps you land a job, go for it. I've never been on Prozac but my mother shared her valium the month I got married.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information