Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Book: Men Without Work: America’s Invisible Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    This is a very old and exhausted argument, UL. Your social work courses should advise on this.

If you want future workers, someone has to provide care to ensure a good start. Standards have improved but not everyone can afford today's cost of childcare. Hence, maternity leave for a year in Canada.

I chose to be home for 6 years to ensure that they got the proper start. I did try working but the price on their well-being was too high in DH and my opinion.

When I retired, the timeout I took for childcare reduced my benefit from the federal pension plan by about a third less. In addition, I was occasionally unemployed as DH's employment moved him around.

It is not all about $$$$$$$ and simple accounting. Life has demands, family has demands, community has demands that don't compute with your clinical detached and uninformed observation. But women do pay a price when they stay home and provide childcare and many other services benefitting the community.
    I think you made a good choice to stay home. If you think you can have everything in life in abundance, you're mistaken. Education? Career? 3 kids? A husband? Friends? Other family? Hobbies? Leisure? You can have a couple in abundance. You can have a few in moderate amounts. Or you can have watered down, stretched thing versions of them all. You make your choices.
    “I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Yep, she married the wrong guy and then she trusted him to follow through on their life plan and she didn't secretly squirrel away money in case something changed and she was left in a difficult position.

had I chosen a career path I could now be making close to 100k a year. It was important to both of us to have a parent at home with the kids. If I went back to work full time now, I would be making 18-30k with additional education required to bring me back to meeting all certification requirements.

the first three years we had kids he was in school and I supported all of us while providing almost all of the child care (took the baby(s) to work with me - a perk of my $7.50/hr job)
    I think you made a good choice to stay home.
    “I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield