Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
This is a very old and exhausted argument, UL. Your social work courses should advise on this.

If you want future workers, someone has to provide care to ensure a good start. Standards have improved but not everyone can afford today's cost of childcare. Hence, maternity leave for a year in Canada.

I chose to be home for 6 years to ensure that they got the proper start. I did try working but the price on their well-being was too high in DH and my opinion.

When I retired, the timeout I took for childcare reduced my benefit from the federal pension plan by about a third less. In addition, I was occasionally unemployed as DH's employment moved him around.

It is not all about $$$$$$$ and simple accounting. Life has demands, family has demands, community has demands that don't compute with your clinical detached and uninformed observation. But women do pay a price when they stay home and provide childcare and many other services benefitting the community.
I think you made a good choice to stay home. If you think you can have everything in life in abundance, you're mistaken. Education? Career? 3 kids? A husband? Friends? Other family? Hobbies? Leisure? You can have a couple in abundance. You can have a few in moderate amounts. Or you can have watered down, stretched thing versions of them all. You make your choices.