Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legal question: Son breaks arm at friends house should they pay the medical bill?

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
    Unfortunately my 18 year old son went to hang out at friends house. I do not like these people. No one pushed him but still its their stairs. Any similar experiences?
    We did have a similar experience and no, I would not expect them to pay. I can't help but feel that a lot of this has to do with the fact that you don't like these people and don't want your son to be friends. My kid has been to ER three times with broken bones. All happened on a property not owned by us and I never felt the cash should be coming from somebody else's pocket. Two of those breaks involved surgery and he was not down for long. Would you be going through so much angst if it happened at your best friends house?

My mother-in-law's house has a truly terrifying basement stair, with no rail, that is narrow, twisty, and uneven. The house was built in the 1800s. I've been convinced I would perish on this thing since I was 14. Nobody has ever fallen and injured themselves on it. She was navigating it successfully when she was in her 80s.

I was just at my father-in-law's place. Same sort of stair. House also from the 1800s. He's in his 90s.

I don't think it reasonable to expect full OSHA/ADA safety/access protocols in private residences.

I do think that people who expect someone else to pay for an accident when there is no fault are bad actors.

My son's leg was broken at a school football practice, and it was an at-fault situation with another player.
    Believe me, the thought of suing the school or the other family never, ever occurred to me.

I don't understand why you would sue someone because your kid--and at 18 he is not a kid anymore--hurts himself at someone's house. He is an adult, so that really boggles my mind.

The owners admitted to falling on the stairs before. Im not assuming anything- its what they told us. Fix your damn stairs.They are not paying directly. Their homeowners insurance is and has agree to pay after taking a statement, and they should investigate those stairs if they will continue to insure. Lesson learned fix your stairs.

People fall down steps all the time with a railing. If your son had no health insurance then yes their homeowners should pay. we all pay for this kind of crap through higher premiums. I am shocked these people are even speaking to you at this point.

Thank you all for your imput on the matter and taking the time to voice your opinions. Even though many of us have our own thoughts on the matter. I find it amazing that as many opinions there may be- we all strive for a simpler life together. That we can agree on.

Absolutely

Thread Information