Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal question: Son breaks arm at friends house should they pay the medical bill?

I would never sue in that circumstance. I don't care what the law says. No one harmed him - he fell all by himself.

Thank you for your opinions. Im not out to sue I can only speak for myself what I would do.If this would've happened in my home, I would at least offer to pay the emergency room copay and express some concern. No one called to ask the next day if he is ok. DH drove by friends house next day to find out in person from the parents what happened. They claimed the people come over all the time and no one ever falls in their house. DS just lost his balance and fell landing on his side and elbow. All I can say Thank God for having insurance on our part. Now he is unable to work, not able to dress himself or put his shoes on, or even drive a car. He will have to figure it out. I know accidents happen but I would feel responsible somewhat to a point to make it right. He will be looking for new friends.

Years ago my Mom fell on my steps while watching my kids. It never occurred to me to offer to pay her co-pays, etc. Accidents happen. However, she had to be off her feet for the next 6 weeks and my Dad was very ill so guess who went over everyday to take care of both of them. I cooked, cleaned, etc. I would have done that no matter where she fell because she is my Mom. If any of my kid's friends had gotten hurt and expected us to pay the co-pays I would not have allowed that kid on my property ever again.

I cant expect that out of others but I would expect that of myself to only offer to pay the hospital copay. It would be there right thing to do in my opinion and to show SOME concern. I hope he will have enough sense not to go there anymore.

I agree that a friend should show concern over an injury. I fail to understand on what basis a friend should pay your medical bills when they didn't cause them in any way.

also, if I had any thought that you might sue me, I would definitely not call to express concern out of fear that you would then turn around and use that against me in court as proof of guilt.

I also don't understand the "having sense to not go there" (are we missing the point that these are particularly dangerous stairs? The air in the house is bad leading to dizziness?). It seems like it would make more sense to hope that he had sense enough to stay away from stairs - which is silly.

i don't know if his relationship with these people was ever "friendship" but it sounds like yours definitely wasn't.

In some cases, homeowners (or renters), are liable for medical bills and living expenses during recovery. This is what property or homeowners insurance is all about. You would need to contact an attorney though and your own health insurance company can document evidence or get involved. You would have to prove negligence such as a broken stair step, poor lighting, loose stair railing, no carpeting or loose carpeting on steps. Find an attorney who offers a free first consult, have witness statements and get your son's medical info together before the visit.

I fell down my stairs too so when ds friends come over we keep them downstairs and not running all over the house.we also tell them to go to the park if they want to run and be silly. Today dh went to ask for homeowners insurance and they are willing to provide the information . Hopefully it will all end well.

Seriously, if they aren't at fault in some way, I don't see why you expect them to accept some sort of financial responsibility.

I'm pretty sure that if a friend/neighbor took this attitude, I'd never allow them on my property again.

When we first bought our house and our insurance agent was going over the policy line by line he said something like..."and this covers you if someone falls down your stairs and breaks a leg". Thankful I didn't have to use it the 2 times we came close - one child who plowed through our back door and another who fell down the stairs face first.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

whisperingpines
    This is what is wrong with society today, everyone is sue happy. The kid is 18 years old, was he talking on cell phone while walking down the stairs, was he going down the stairs to quickly? What was he doing that caused him to fall down the stairs. ( not paying attention). I would not allow him in the house again.

Thread Information