Thread: Not much to do in my town -

Not much to do in my town -

There is never much to do in my town and county, and what is most annoying is that anything that does happen costs too much. I am in a poor region and there is no way that someone is going to spend a hundred bucks for something. Heck people can barely afford 10 bucks. It is a way to keep everything way too exclusive.

Heck - even walking in a charity walk was too expensive for me. Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    There is never much to do in my town and county, and what is most annoying is that anything that does happen costs too much. I am in a poor region and there is no way that someone is going to spend a hundred bucks for something. Heck people can barely afford 10 bucks. It is a way to keep everything way too exclusive.

Heck - even walking in a charity walk was too expensive for me. Sigh!
    I bet I can coach you on ways to make your own fun!

I'm sure we can help you brainstorm a list of things to do. What do you like to do besides watch tv and keep up with celebrities?

I used to do some charity walks, my friend and I did yard sales to raise the money for the charity walks. We wanted something beyond the basics.

I use some volunteers especially for one program, Girls on the Run. The volunteer coaches meet the girls 2 times a week and then get a free entry to the end of season 5K. One coach walked the 5K, she really couldn't run, and that was fine since the purpose is to be with the girls. I would reach out to a charity walk/run and see if they need anyone like that, an assistant to a runner, or a way to volunteer to get a free entry

I can't find enough time to do the things I love..........gardening, water gardening, cross-stitch, jigsaw puzzles, birdwatching, planting trees and flowers, cooking, preserving stuff from my garden, cleaning, couponing, etc., etc., etc. One can always find interesting things to do. But you have to want to.

OP, how far are you from a college campus? Even a community college?
    student productions and student art shows are not heavily advertised, yet are always out there, and they are in need of audiences.

yesterday I was looking over our state garden club publication, and I noticed how many writers were from tiny towns I had not heard of. In these tiny towns the local garden club and the local historical society are key in making up the social fabric of the community.

Hey, you like genealogy! Do you belong to the local genealogy society? They can always use volunteers, and they may be part of your county's historical society. I don't think you are a gardener, but you have mentioned genealogy as an interest.

what region (state and area) are you in?

Sandy, our library has genealogical events, and they are free. Great idea!

It sounds like you don't like where you live so am wondering are you taking steps to move? Things like job hunting in an area you would like to live, etc.

Yppej
    Run for town Recreation Committee to bring the activities you want. Politics, religion, book clubs, hiking, and volunteering are all small town options. If the charity walk would not take you check with the United Way for other options, or your library, parks department, school, Head Start, after school program, nursing home, hospital, or animal shelter.

I do a number of charity walks - but I volunteer for them. I contribute money to a number of things, but I don't do fundraising, I really don't like it.

Last night I did my weekly stint volunteering at a soup kitchen thing - free dinner, hang with people I know and a group of us usually go out for a beer afterwards.

Thread Information