Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Can Republicans not be racist?"

"Can Republicans not be racist?"

I am going to present this questions to my classmates in my Cultural Competence social work class, when the context presents itself (and it often does).

"Can a straight white male Republican not be racist and/or sexist?"

Thoughts?

If they always get to define what "racist" and "sexist" means, then no, probably not.

No. No human can.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If they always get to define what "racist" and "sexist" means, then no, probably not.
    Explain more. I am intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    No. No human can.
    I somewhat agree.

Then why present the questions?

If you want to take Holy Orders in the Cultural Competence Church Militant, you are going to need to accept their doctrine of original sin: we are all racists, although sometimes only unwittingly and in microscopic amounts only detectable by trained experts. If the accepted orthodoxy is that Republicans are by definition irredeemable pagans who installed a golden calf in the Oval Office, you need to sing with the choir.

Why open yourself up to charges of heresy by even asking the question? You don't honestly believe you will change any minds there, do you?

Check your privilege, drink the Kool-Aid, take your grade and move on. You have much to lose and little to gain by hinting at the minute possibility that Republicans could be decent human beings.

Why, what race are you referring to? Are you claiming to have had a encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Explain more. I am intrigued.
    "racist" and "sexist" are labels.

So many actions are labeled as racist or sexist by some, but not by others. It you are using a definition of these words by the social science crowd and their textbooks, those definitions are not necessarily accepted by John Q Public, and John Q may not think an action is racist.

IMHO there isn't a universally accepted definition of racist and sexist (although certainly there are actions that most of us can agree are outrageously racist or sexist.)

examples:

Rachel Dolezal represented herself as African-American to others.Was that a racist act? Is she herself racist? When she sued her University for race discrimination back when she was identifying as white, was that a racist act?

The recent Women's march on Washington did not actively seek out women of color. Was that racist? Are the organizers of these events racists? Are trans women who want to participate in the March sexist? Is it sexist to exclude them?

and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    "racist" and "sexist" are labels.

So many actions are labeled as racist or sexist by some, but not by others. It you are using a definition of these words by the social science crowd and their textbooks, those definitions are not necessarily accepted by John Q Public, and John Q may not think an action is racist.

IMHO there isn't a universally accepted definition of racist and sexist (although certainly there are actions that most of us can agree are outrageously racist or sexist.)
    This.

Thread Information