Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book: What Jesus Meant by Garry Wills

Book: What Jesus Meant by Garry Wills

I have done this thing in the past where I do a "book exchange." By this I mean I say to someone: "If you read a book I suggest, I will read a book you suggest."

I made this exchange with my mom, thinking there was no way she'd do it. I said: "You read Sam Harris's Letter To A Christian Nation and I will read a book you want me to read."

By heck, she read the dang book and liked it. Wacky.

So I am reading a book called What Jesus Meant, as per her suggestion. I am about a third into it. Very interesting book. The way the author presents Jesus is intriguing. Anyone else read this book?

I haven't read What Jesus Meant, but I have read Garry Wills. I read Why I Am A Catholic (since I am forever teetering on the edge of going back to my Catholic roots), and I also have The Rosary (because I really like praying the rosary).

I'm really interested in hearing what you like about this book. I do find it wacky that you would enjoy it, frankly!

Along these lines, I read books of the mystic Bernadette Roberts and she just published a book called "The Real Christ." It's intriguing because she actually attaches a warning to it:

Those who believe the man Jesus who walked this earth 2000 years ago was God, should read no further. Since I hold no human being is God, those who disagree will only find this book upsetting and disagreeable. This writing is not for those convinced they have the last word on Christ, but those searching for the real Christ. While I believe all Christians have the right Faith, I do not think all Christians have the right beliefs, right understanding or right view of Christ. Given all the Jesus-talk these days, Christianity comes across as a personality cult, the worship of a human being, which has nothing to do with Christ, it even turns people away. The reason for this writing is my perception that the real Christ has been all but lost to Christianity.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I cannot imagine finding the time to read a book called "What Jesus Meant." The Sam Harris sounds interesting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I haven't read What Jesus Meant, but I have read Garry Wills. I read Why I Am A Catholic (since I am forever teetering on the edge of going back to my Catholic roots), and I also have The Rosary (because I really like praying the rosary).

I'm really interested in hearing what you like about this book. I do find it wacky that you would enjoy it, frankly!

Along these lines, I read books of the mystic Bernadette Roberts and she just published a book called "The Real Christ." It's intriguing because she actually attaches a warning to it:
    In the chapter of this book "The Hidden Years" about Jesus during ages 13-30 he made Jesus seem like a real rebel. Wills makes Jesus seem like this guy who rejected the institutions of family, community, government, propriety, social class, etc. I realize that Wills is just playing jazz with a mythological character, but it is a character I largely identify with. The book has all sorts of wacky apologetics too, which rub me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I cannot imagine finding the time to read a book called "What Jesus Meant." The Sam Harris sounds interesting, though.
    When I do a book exchange I keep my word and read the other person's silly book. By reading the book I suggest the other person grows. But by reading the book they suggest I don't shrink.
    Last edited by Ultralight; 3-31-17 at 4:22pm.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    When I do a book exchange I keep my work and read the other person's silly book. By reading the book I suggest the other person grows. But by reading the book they suggest I don't shrink.
    With a bit of introspection, you might get to the heart of your loneliness problem.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

When I do a book exchange I keep my work and read the other person's silly book. By reading the book I suggest the other person grows. But by reading the book they suggest I don't shrink.
    Very well said. I had a liberal friend who was appalled that I read Ayn Rand. You don't grow unless you explore all viewpoints.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

In the chapter of this book "The Hidden Years" about Jesus during ages 13-30 he made Jesus seem like a real rebel. Wills makes Jesus seem like this guy who rejected the institutions of family, community, government, propriety, social class, etc.
    Yes, I wish more people saw that.

In the chapter of this book "The Hidden Years" about Jesus during ages 13-30 he made Jesus seem like a real rebel. Wills makes Jesus seem like this guy who rejected the institutions of family, community, government, propriety, social class, etc.
    He's sort of like Sherlock Holmes. Everybody has their own cherished version of him.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He's sort of like Sherlock Holmes. Everybody has their own cherished version of him.
    And this is a big part of why I am an atheist.

Thread Information