Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book: What Jesus Meant by Garry Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    With a bit of introspection, you might get to the heart of your loneliness problem.
    Now I would be one to flat-out say, "I have no interest whatsoever in reading a book about Jesus," and I'm not the least bit lonely. You just have to find people who love you for who you really are. If you're really lucky, you might even find some like-minded people who love you for who you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Now I would be one to flat-out say, "I have no interest whatsoever in reading a book about Jesus," and I'm not the least bit lonely. You just have to find people who love you for who you really are. If you're really lucky, you might even find some like-minded people who love you for who you really are.
    But that's an honest response to a perceived equal. Not quite the same.

I finished this book.

What I liked:
    -The book was loaned to me indefinitely, so I did not have to pay for it or deal with library due dates
    -The character sketch of Jesus as a real rebel who was an extremist attacking all norms and institutions
    -The nudges toward the importance of divesting from physical possessions

What I disliked:
    -The wacky and nonsensical apologetics
    -The vanity of the author
    -The contradictions so common in religious texts

I, too, dislike library due dates. That one factor changes the joy of reading into the drudgery of completing an assignment by it's due date.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I, too, dislike library due dates. That one factor changes the joy of reading into the drudgery of completing an assignment by it's due date.
    I used to wait until the book was not popular, then I could have it indefinitely. Three loan periods equal nine weeks here, so that is a good long time. Even one loan period, for a popular book, is three weeks. If I am really into a book .I can finish it within three weeks.

But agreed, these newfangled Kindle versions have all kinds of advantages.

I actually kind of like the date dates because they pull me away from the internet!

ETA: Oops - I meant due dates, not date dates!
    Last edited by rosarugosa; 4-4-17 at 4:36am.

I would do an exchange like that, there was a time in my life when I would have read that book in a trade. Right now I have enough to read without trading and I am not feeling so open to the majority religion.

I did listen to EVERY song that was put on my '50 songs for 50 years' birthday play list. There were a lot I liked and a few that were out there. I did however listen to the entire 'who let the dogs out' song!

Thread Information