Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you growing anything yet?

Looks like we have a couple of days with a break in the rain. Time to go put the potting shed in order and start some indoor seeds. I might be able to get away with planting some spinach and lettuce. I need to dig up the over wintered carrots. I have to try to contain myself. I always want to jump in and usually jump the gun by about a month. I'm trying to plan better this year.

Catherine, I know others have posted their success or lack of in the past but I have used a Scarecrow (motion detector that sprays water) with great success. It has kept the deer and rabbits out of my garden in the back and the raccoons and heron out of my pond in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Catherine, I know others have posted their success or lack of in the past but I have used a Scarecrow (motion detector that sprays water) with great success. It has kept the deer and rabbits out of my garden in the back and the raccoons and heron out of my pond in the front.
    Thanks, Siimplemind! I do remember others posting ideas--I think the ScareCrow would be a great thing to try before going to the trouble of building a fence. Plus, I can easily put one in the front for my perennial flowers and one in the back for my raised beds. I looked I up on Amazon and it says it covers 1200 sq feet, which is more than enough!

thanks!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Second wave of greens coming in here--spinach, spring lettuces.
    also we had a few tiny radishes.

I finally planted some spinach, lettuces, kale just this weekend in raised bed 3. I'll wait till I get back from NM to put anything else in the ground. Will probably limit my efforts to a few tomatoes and peppers. Just don't have it in me to fight with critters or weather this year. I'm actually going to have DH take apart 2 raised beds that the wood frames are done on (beds 1 & 2). We could use the soil to fill a few holes and slopes in the yard. The other 2 raised have raspberries and grapes (bed 4) and flowers (bed 5).

I've got another big project I'm going to try to put my efforts towards this year thought I did get bit by a spider (thankfully not brown recluse) yesterday while pulling IVY. Last year...it was a copperhead while pulling VINCA that I put my hand next to. Apparently my yard is a little too wild!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Not supposed to plant til June here since it is so cold, but we had blue potatoes that I grew last year sprout, along with some garlic and some onions from the supermarket, so I put them out yesterday and buried them under straw.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Looks like we have a couple of days with a break in the rain. Time to go put the potting shed in order and start some indoor seeds. I might be able to get away with planting some spinach and lettuce. I need to dig up the over wintered carrots. I have to try to contain myself. I always want to jump in and usually jump the gun by about a month. I'm trying to plan better this year.
    I hope you have better luck than I did overwintering my carrots. We had unexpected unusual freezing and snow...they were all spongey and not good. Next year, we'll lay down straw.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thanks, Siimplemind! I do remember others posting ideas--I think the ScareCrow would be a great thing to try before going to the trouble of building a fence. Plus, I can easily put one in the front for my perennial flowers and one in the back for my raised beds. I looked I up on Amazon and it says it covers 1200 sq feet, which is more than enough!
    Last year I bought an "ultrasonic pest repeller" that is solar charged and motion activated, and emits an ultrasonic sound plus a flashing LED. They are pretty cheap off Amazon. I've tried to observe any effect as much as possible. It seems to bother rabbits although I'm not sure it actually repels them. I don't think it helps much with raccoons. I am pretty sure it bothers the neighborhood cats enough to reduce their traffic in my yard. The claims say that it works with deer. It was cheap enough to try and maybe helps a few things, although the product description claims are overstated. I'm going to buy another this year to add to my old one which is still working.

I remember the scarecrow suggestions too, but just couldn't figure out a good way to hook up a hose where it's needed. I'm sure it would work better.

I am in Denver and would love to do more pots on my desk since we decided to stay put and pay the increased rent for another year. I have an amazing deck! I think I can start buying seed or plants about now,

Over the weekend, it grew 8 inches of snow. It's just about time to start seedlings indoors, ready to plant some time in May.

Thread Information