Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you growing anything yet?

Are you growing anything yet?

My garlic overwintered wonderfully, even though we've had the wettest Feb. and so far, March on record. We also had 12 in. of snow at one point. I have my peas in but they had not emerged yet as of last weekend. Maybe this weekend. I will be planting lettuces and mache this weekend.

How about you where you live?

Edited for typo
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

No, sadly. Though I did buy a saw and some wood to make compost bins and raised beds, so I'm excited about that. It's warm enough to saw outside now.

In southern Ontario, we have had a mild winter with lots of wind and rain adding some sporadic snowfall but my garlic is poking their noses out and most of perennials are showing signs of life.

I have been trying to grow some indoor sprout greens when time permitted. Herbgeek had a good system posted a while ago. I must start another batch. Grass never stopped growing, it seems, so it will be needing some attention soon. Tree buds are bursting
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    A lone daffodil came up and was literally crushed in the last blizzard, which also shrivelled up the chives that had started greening. I expect tonight's snow will do in the crocuses.

I'm having my last salad of the season from my indoor salad gardening for dinner. Sad. I've started tomatoes, peppers, and greens in flats along with some perennials. These are all indoors on the porch for the time being- I put them out in my greenhouse on sunny days. I overwintered some lettuce under plastic cover, a few warm days and it will start to grow again- right now it is just surviving.

My lettuce and spinach seeds have been in the ground for about a week. We have a couple of spring snows still in the forecast so I'm holding off on others. I picked up leek starts at the nursery last year and it was one of my successful garden experiments. Kale and leeks are probably next. The rabbits seem to have increased since last year and I'm still working on rabbit removal or defenses. There is so much new green coming up that my little offerings have not enticed them into a live trap. Last year I gave up live trapping after catching a skunk.

Ugh, it's the squirrels, crows, and cats here that do a number on my (raised) beds, Rogar. I have taken to stapling chicken wire tunnels over my beds just to give my seedlings a fighting chance.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'm having my last salad of the season from my indoor salad gardening for dinner. Sad. I've started tomatoes, peppers, and greens in flats along with some perennials. These are all indoors on the porch for the time being- I put them out in my greenhouse on sunny days. I overwintered some lettuce under plastic cover, a few warm days and it will start to grow again- right now it is just surviving.
    Forgot that I have a salad table with kale in it still from over winter. I had covered it with reemay. Kale still good...mache too. My herbs all survived the winter outdoors, but beneath the overhang up against the house.

I'm on the Texas Gulf Coast and Spring is bursting out all over. Our milkweed is coming back nicely after being frozen in our one hard freeze this winter. We have put out more milkweed, salvia, and blue mist flowers all for our butterfly gardens. OTOH, the oak pollen is about the worst I have ever seen it. Achooo!

Getting ready to do an order to Johnny's Selected Seeds. But we have determined we must build a deer fence around our 4 beds. Last year we got not ONE tomato. They even attacked my perennial flowers for the first time. My beautiful balloon flowers were tragically aborted.

Any advice? I would love to have a fence that's aesthetically appealing (nice rustic posts) but we may have to default to the cheap metal posts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information