Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women........Pelvic Organ Prolapse

Women........Pelvic Organ Prolapse

I seem to have this and, without going into much detail, probably need to have surgery. I would never have the mesh, so I'm not sure how successful/long lasting the reconstruction would be.
    If you would prefer to stay private with any experience you've had, just private-message me. I appreciate it!

I guess I'll be the first one to respond.
    I've spent the morning reading up on this problem, and I'm thinking the best first step is physiotherapy. My concern was going to docs who are into surgery. they tend to downplay the benefit of strengthening muscles. I wish my ortho doc had recommended P.T. first, rather than knee surgery........which then caused a lot more problems. Anyone here ever have P.T. for the problem I'm mentioned? I know it can sometimes be funky.....but who cares, if it helps avoid the knife.

I was afraid of needing that surgery because the Dr mentioned I had prolapsed uterus and other stuff. For 10 years after kids every time I'd bend over I could hear all those things in my pelvic region move around and slide. It was the oddest sensation. But I gained some fat and everything seems parked in it's rightful place with no problems currently. So...um...yea fat!

I have had two friends have surgery. I do not know if mesh was used. Both were happy with their results.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

As I've lost weight I've noticed my arthritic, unstable joints have gotten worse (um...they were supposed to get better), and the thought has crossed my mind that the fat was cushioning/supporting them somehow. Interesting. Also worrisome.

Funny, but whenever I lose a little weight, I get sciatica pretty bad. I was thinking it was because my stomach was being a counter-weight or something and keeping things in line.
    Also, if you lose weight, especially when you're older, then your facial wrinkles start showing up more. So.......I'm not trying too hard anymore. haha

Cathy, I have no experience with this and sorry you are going through it. My husband had double inguinal hernia with pelvic floor reconstruction and they used the mesh with no problems, so that is something to consider.

I suffered for decades with a leaky bladder and had surgery 5 years ago and the results were awesome. There are different types of mesh. The kind I had has not been in lawsuits or failed, etc.

What grade is your prolapse? If you were told. Is it all organs or just one? Pessary not help I assume? Sadly I seem to know way to much on the topic

I am now searching for any definitive answer to my question on POP, Can I run? Not one Doctor or the the two Nurse Practitioners or the magnitudes of articles I have read give the answer. It's a grey area on if this will make worse or not. SO I run, as I am pretty sure sitting will not change the out come of three prolapses grading 2.5-3.5. I was told in December that to delay surgery till I for 10 years would be the best option thinking that I would be less active was the reasoning. My goal was a marathon or 1/2 at 70!

Terry: were you told that there was a reoccurance and the surgery had a high rate of re do? Just wondering, thank you kindly.

The other thing I learned was this is a topic that is not spoken of enough. I have found great info on the Australian sites as well as GB. Yet pessaries can be dated way way back, but goodness it just it not spoken of here. I feel it is just like any other health issue and not embarrassing. Just ask my neighbors as I babbled to everyone about it!
    I was told 17 years ago that I had a minor POP, but someday it may be an issue. I blew it off and never thought of it really till...last October when I was trail running. I felt like everything was falling out all of a sudden. GEEZE if I had known I would have worn a pessary years ago, IF it helped stop the progression.

BL: no the doctor said she had a lot of success with this surgery and type of mesh.

Thread Information