Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women........Pelvic Organ Prolapse

Thanks everyone. BL....I am fairly certain the running will make it worse. That's a ton of downward force on those already falling organs. I'm guessing here, but I'll bet that even if you had the surgery, they would caution you against running much again.
    I also don't think that wearing a pessary helps slow the worsening of it. It just holds the organs in a better position so you can can pee and poop and not have anything falling outside your body.
    How old are you? Do you live in a bigger city? Sounds curious that you have the prolapses and they told you to wait 10 years for the surgery. Sounds like a small town to me. (I'm a small town girl, but I would never have medical treatment in a small town).
    Also......please check out the possibilities of physiotherapy for POP. I think it's terribly downplayed and can do some good. I'm seeing a NP at a women's clinic in a couple weeks and they asked if I wanted surgery right away or wanted to pursue other possible treatments. Of course I chose the latter. I fear surgeons only consider surgery, so the NP will probably give me lots of other options, if my condition isn't horrible.

I know you really want to run, but sometimes, unfortunately, we have to give up things we love because of physical problems. Good luck to you!

I had surgery (no mesh) for prolapsed uterus; it had folded over, stuck to itself, and adhered to other organs. This was when I was 26, a couple of years after my son's birth did major damage. It was fantastic to be able to stand, turn, and bend, without pain.

Personally, I think quality of life sometimes requires the surgery. Is it worth avoiding surgery for the quality of life you currently have? You describe a problem that will not improve. Is there something serious preventing you from having the procedure? I am an OR RN. I am VERY conservative when it comes to having or recommending surgery. You do not need to suffer with this, there is a solution.

I waited far too long to have a hysterectomy because I thought, this will stop when I'm post menopausal. Oh how I wish I had done it long before I was 46! So much suffering every month-too dang stubborn!

We do not live in our Grandmother's world. We do not have to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Personally, I think quality of life sometimes requires the surgery. Is it worth avoiding surgery for the quality of life you currently have? You describe a problem that will not improve. Is there something serious preventing you from having the procedure? I am an OR RN. I am VERY conservative when it comes to having or recommending surgery. You do not need to suffer with this, there is a solution.

I waited far too long to have a hysterectomy because I thought, this will stop when I'm post menopausal. Oh how I wish I had done it long before I was 46! So much suffering every month-too dang stubborn!

We do not live in our Grandmother's world. We do not have to suffer.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I did the same thing hysterectomy wise (I too am a nurse). I have trouble with anxiety and what if thinking. When I find that starting I imagine the "adult" me stepping in and reassuring the "child" me that it is ok and that I will take care of the little me. It seems to help.

I am also at almost 64, realizing this is my only life, I want what remains to be quality.

I ❤️ your comment at the end we do not live in our grandmothers world. We do not need to suffer.

So much suffering every month-too dang stubborn!
    I was one of the ultra-stubborn ones and put up with all that without going the surgery route like all the women around me. I used my MIL as my excuse as she had horrible issues afterwards - adhesions, prolapse, etc. In the end, I soldiered through it and came out the other end just fine. However, I guess surgery is a lot more precise these days so would definitely consider with an issue like OPs.

PT: I did the same thing and I would not do it again.

I think it's highly variable, as to how people do with the same type of surgery. There's our own body's way of dealing with things (some make adhesions, some give way from the stitching), the ability of the doctor, the ability of the physical therapy department, etc., etc., etc.
    I have been to too many bad docs and it's important to me to not end up worse than I am now.
    It's like knee surgery......I just refuse to have it.....because of the same factors.
    Plus.....I think in today's world with all the advanced medical and surgical stuff, we all want to be totally pain free and be young forever and I wonder how that affects the entire healthcare dilemmas we are having in this country.

Many of you trust docs a lot more than I do. Plus, I have fibromyalgia and my body goes crazy when one little thing is done to me.........so we're all at different places sometimes with healing.....

After 30 years of having a leaky bladder that steadily got worse I finally had the surgery. I should have done it sooner.

Yeah, I could definitely do without peeing 12 times a day, but now it involves other stuff. It's not going to be an easy fix....especially without the mesh.

Thread Information