Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: time to work on the caffeine

I am in the process of decaffeinating myself, once again. I probably do this every year or so. When I worked the 6am shift at Wholefoods, there was just NO WAY I could stay off caffeine but out here in New Mexico I find myself drinking A LOT of coffee as I get my morning started. I've always made 50% decaf to 50% regular, but in the past few weeks I have been having a lot of stomach troubles and I suspect that I just can't handle the coffee anymore. So it goes. I have been slowly reducing the amount of caffeinated coffee I add to the decaf; today I was down to one scoop reg to five scoops decaf. I did have a headache all day yesterday but it could have been from allergies too.

I love coffee and I hate that I need to give it up! I am trying to get used to the idea of drinking tea instead (non-caffeinated of course). All I know is next week when I totally cut out the caffeine, I am going feel crappy for at least three days. My body is very sensitive to that. I would never ever be able to go cold turkey!

Yppej
    I drink coffee with unsweetened almond milk and figure the health benefits outweigh the risks, but I do try to only have some before noon and switch to tea after that, which I drink with nothing added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I drink coffee with unsweetened almond milk and figure the health benefits outweigh the risks, but I do try to only have some before noon and switch to tea after that, which I drink with nothing added to it.
    I vary among unsweetened almond, cashew, and coconut, and add a healthy swig of heavy cream to my iced coffee. I'm with you; I think coffee is as healthy a drink as any.

SiouzQ good point on the work schedule thing. I am not looking to cut it totally out as long as I have this job. Plus I already do not drink any alcohol, gave up smoking, rarely have soda or sweets, ya know I feel like I need some bad habits if I am not going to move to a monastery. However the sleeping thing means I do need to adjust.

Last night kinda failed but got a little better. Lately I am super into drawing celtic knots so I had a hard time turning off and going to sleep, which was only partially caffeine and partially trying to get this one shape to work. I actually had to work very hard at turning my mind off, not typical for me.

Yppej
    Well I went overboard with the coffee, encouraged by news reports that 4 to 5 cups a day are good, and by the fact that it speeds up metabolism. I've lost 8 pounds so far, but now when I sleep in on weekends I wake up with withdrawal headaches, so I need to change.

wow 4-5 cups a day. I drink yet 1-2 cups of tea a day yet, I experiment days of doing without and seeing if it helps insominiac tendencies but it really seems to have nothing to do with that (although I'm sure with 4-5 cups of coffee I could probably cause caffeine induced insomnia) and I have honestly no idea what actually causes my sleep to be better or worse (yes not eating after 8:30 or so helps a bit, but only so much ...). I'd love to cut back caffeine more for my health, but then I'd need to sleep more and deeper first or I won't be able to, and I don't know how, and it doesn't seem just cutting caffeine will get me there.
    Trees don't grow on money

I've had occasion to cut back on caffeine, but right now have some self imposed rules that seem to be working. Coffee after about 2PM may disturb my sleep patterns, so is out. And I cannot drink a second cup in the morning without breakfast or it will bother my stomach. I suspect when people say "cup" of coffee it is their normal drinking vessel volume. My cup is about 14 oz. and two or three a day is my limit. Occasionally I'll get a little too edgy, but most of the time I think it helps my productivity and alertness. I drink some diet pop, but only buy caffeine free.

We have a "ten cup" coffee maker. It fills my mug 5 times. I drink three of those every morning. Since quitting diet soda (except sometimes at parties and eating out) i haven't been having any other caffiene but chocolate (not every day) and the occasional afternoon tea. I seem to sleep better without caffiene in the evening, but i get more tired in the afternoons and am more likely to have sugar then as a pick-me-up. When i had to drive home late from a party recently i had a very sugary piece of pie about 20 minutes before i left.

Coffee is definitely a drug. Straight caffeinated coffee upsets my stomach. I have several cups a day of 1/3 caffeine and 2/3 decaf (low acid). This might be a good way to cut back, but still have coffee....or slowly phase it out.
    I'm a little weird too.........if I drink coffee after about 1p.m., I can get to sleep okay.........but I wake up all through the night. Uninterrupted sleep is so important........but in the mid-late afternoon, for some reason, I just have to have coffee........even if I'm not tired. I'm just weak, I guess. I like the act of just drinking coffee.

I think about the whole world drinking coffee and it makes me wonder how they can grow that much coffee!
    I've tried to stop drinking it and I sleep so much better. But then I have a little and get so happy.........and fall off the wagon. It's definitely an acceptable mood elevator.

But do try mixing decaf with caffeinated to try to cut back.
    There's also that Teeccino herbal coffee that you could use to dilute your caffeinated, or even replace it.

CathyA, that's what i found with sleping - i fall asleep fine, but wake up later. Same wih alcohol if i have more than one.

Thread Information