Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: soap for the shower

soap for the shower

SO being extra environmental and frugal I have been getting bar soap for handwashing in the bathroom. One paper wrapper, bar lasts a long time, not filling up the landfill with more plastic crap. Then as the last of the shower gel my mom bought got used up I started using it in the shower. It seemed really drying (an actual concern in Colorado) so I switched to the big Dr Bronners bottle I have. Not peppermint! Wash your delicate parts once with the peppermint and you learn. However this is still rather drying and a little difficult to use in the shower. So now I am on a quest for the best soap for the shower in an eco-friendly sense. That means no tiny plastic bottle of fancy things made from carrots because the tiny plastic bottles are being added to the landfill even if you are saving the world by making it out of carrots instead of chemicals. A long time ago you could refill soaps at stores with your own bottle I think, like your own honey or make your own peanut butter. Do those still exist?

The leftover suds from my shampoo washes my body. I only have shampoo in my shower.

I use old pump bottles that I have refilled for years for shower body wash and shampoo. I suspect we could do fine with just shampoo (and do when we travel) since we use the Suave brand of each and have for years. Does not dry the skin/hair and we wash daily. Plus it is inexpensive when bought on sale. Right now I have about 10 bottles waiting to refill the pumps. Note that Suave does private label too and we check to see which is less expensive.

The pump bottles help measure out the soap since I think hubby would be too generous if having to pour it out each time and it is less messy.

I am very disappointed in myself in that I started using liquid soap just a few years ago when someone gifted me some. We use it in our downstairs bathroom.

we still use bar soap in the shower.

We use Castile bar (paper wrapper) or homemade goat milk soap in the shower.

i actually switched away from Sauve shampoo because it has a fairly poor environmental rating, but I haven't found a replacement I like yet.

you could try a shaving cream bar - still soap, but extra sudsy and moisturizing.

With our hard water any bar soap I've tried tends to scum up the tub and shower walls. I would probably buy bar soap if it wasn't for that issue. Even handmade soaps and handmade bar shampoo was more "scummy".
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    With our hard water any bar soap I've tried tends to scum up the tub and shower walls. I would probably buy bar soap if it wasn't for that issue. Even handmade soaps and handmade bar shampoo was more "scummy".
    A few months back I bought a brush that is made to be used with a cordless drill - it works very well on the shower walls.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    A few months back I bought a brush that is made to be used with a cordless drill - it works very well on the shower walls.
    Like this? What a great idea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXEDnFmLNnI
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Have you tried some of the natural soaps like Kiss My Face? (maybe that was the problem I don't know, it's ok with me). Could try at the farmers market for soap, Whole Foods sells soap in no packets at all (that fancy artisan soap stuff) eh well being that it's there I hardly have to mention that it's pricey, but don't think it's drying. Truthfully half the time I barely use soap, it doesn't seem all that necessary, but I bathe more than shower (yea waste of water, but I have my vices).

As for refillable bottles, you are probably only going to get that if you try a co-op, if you are lucky enough to have one.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Like this? What a great idea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXEDnFmLNnI
    Yes. That one is much bigger (I'd rather have this one, it would clean faster), but the idea is the same.
    Last edited by creaker; 4-4-17 at 2:04pm.

Thread Information