Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Try 20 New Recipes Challenge

Not sure if this counts, but made dog food, using a roll of ground turkey, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, and celery. It was a big hit.

I bet it was!

Tastes like what it is, One avocado, one frozen banana,Honey, cocoa and coconut. I say it is more like a pudding of those ingredients.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today was and I know I am behind on the news, Cloud Bread. Honestly not too bad. I am not low carb, but wanted to try it. I will make again with garlic and spices, PB&J none to bad either.

I'm resurrecting this old thread which I abandoned in May.

Partly inspired by Ultralight's adventures in learning to cook, I, too, am using Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

For some reason, I've been wanting to learn how to make split pea soup, so last night, I did. I did the version where I added a potato to it. It wasn't all that flavorful, but I might not have added enough salt and pepper. But Bittman suggests croutons for it, and the garlic ones were SO good in it and made the whole dish much more kid-friendly for my six-year-old daughter. So that was #11.

I'm bumping up this thread from forever ago because I'm still trying to develop my cooking "repertoire." A friend suggested we eat at my place the other night (he offered to pick up the groceries), and I completely froze and suggested take-out. I still don't feel like I can "whip something up" though I feel like I sort of gain confidence with every recipe I try. And the reality is I have a pretty good repertoire of winter meals (meatloaf, a one-pot chicken and rice dish, a salmon dinner). But I don't have a lot of good hot-weather dishes. And I also want to be better at making some good vegetarian and vegan dishes.

Tonight I am trying a cold broccoli soup. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm generally an ad lib cook, but I've been collecting cookbooks lately from Urvashi Pitre and Maria Emmerich--mostly low-carb, with Instant Pot thrown into the mix. I'm looking forward to doing more Indian-inspired dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm generally an ad lib cook, but I've been collecting cookbooks lately from Urvashi Pitre and Maria Emmerich--mostly low-carb, with Instant Pot thrown into the mix. I'm looking forward to doing more Indian-inspired dishes.
    I'll be interested to hear about which of those recipes you recommend!

So I finished the broccoli soup, and I *think* it came out pretty good, though it hasn't cooled yet. I'm remembering what part of cooking always gives me cold feet: the part where the recipe says "add ______ to taste." This one has me add salt and pepper and lemon juice at the end to taste, and I did my best, but when something doesn't taste just right to me, I'm not sure what ingredient it actually needs. But hopefully, that will come with more practice and experimentation. This recipe also says the flavors for the soup come out more strongly after it's sat in the fridge overnight, so it will be interesting to see how it tastes tomorrow. Right now, it seems like the cayenne is overpowering it a bit.

I'm going to make some of Mark Bittman's no-knead bread tonight so that I can have it with the cold soup for tomorrow's dinner.

In any case, hit or miss, this was recipe #12. Would love to get to 20 by the end of summer (which is pretty much August 27th for me).

Would also love to hear from any of you who are trying out new recipes!

I am a cook by taste more than recipe, and not sure how to make recipes from intuition. So there are very few things i have not made, maybe pork and beef recipes. I will say the Panera copycat broccoli soup is the best and super easy. I

After my retreat i wanted to cook all the yummy foods, i made pesto pasta salad. I put in white beans, cherry tomatoes, any other veggies like zucchini, and use farfelle for the pasta. A good hot weather recipe.

I think frittata is another food that looks very nice but is easy to make. Lots of eggs and cheese and then whatever veggies you want. I make potato chive and it goes in lunches easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    I'll be interested to hear about which of those recipes you recommend!

So I finished the broccoli soup, and I *think* it came out pretty good, though it hasn't cooled yet. I'm remembering what part of cooking always gives me cold feet: the part where the recipe says "add ______ to taste." This one has me add salt and pepper and lemon juice at the end to taste, and I did my best, but when something doesn't taste just right to me, I'm not sure what ingredient it actually needs. But hopefully, that will come with more practice and experimentation. This recipe also says the flavors for the soup come out more strongly after it's sat in the fridge overnight, so it will be interesting to see how it tastes tomorrow. Right now, it seems like the cayenne is overpowering it a bit.

I'm going to make some of Mark Bittman's no-knead bread tonight so that I can have it with the cold soup for tomorrow's dinner.

In any case, hit or miss, this was recipe #12. Would love to get to 20 by the end of summer (which is pretty much August 27th for me).

Would also love to hear from any of you who are trying out new recipes!
    I can tell you for sure that Pitre's Butter Chicken recipe is a winner (it gets rave reviews, anyway): https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Thread Information