Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Try 20 New Recipes Challenge

I love hubbard squash so freeze it in portions for two. I took a bag from my freezer, added it to an onion sautéed in butter, 3 cups water and about 2tbsp of chicken bouillon (to taste) and simmered for about 10 mins in microwave. I added a pinch of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of homemade bouquet garni and let it rest while I sliced some homemade bread, some cheese and enjoyed 1 1/2 cups of delicious soup. Quick and easy and I get to enjoy my favourite squash.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Recipe #9: spinach and mushroom quesadilla and #10: spinach quesadilla. Yes, I'm on a quesadilla roll. Very delicious, and it's keeping me from eating out too much. Next one I want to try is sweet potato quesadilla.

Have some fresh rhubarb from my garden so baking a double loaf. I need to try different recipes or food seems boring. Are you find food more fun with the new recipes, EJ?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

What actually helps, razz, is the concrete goal of trying 20 and giving myself "credit" for really simple things I've never done before like sautéing spinach or roasting potatoes. I am finding it fun and also, I'm finally starting to get confident enough to veer away from the specific instructions of a particular recipe and try my own way. I'm finding a lot of the New York Times recipes unnecessarily complicated, so I mostly read them for ideas and then look online for simpler versions of the same recipes. It also helps a lot to read comments on recipes and learn what adjustments other cooks have made.

My work schedule is reduced in the summer, so I'm hopeful I'll have even more time to try new recipes. A lot of the dishes I know how to make are hot soups and casseroles. I want to add some salads and cold soups to my repertoire!

Thanks to everybody for sharing their stories here! It's so inspiring!

I have to say that DH and I have managed to try 3 new recipes a week using Blue Apron. Their recipes have yet to let me down and I've tried a lot of things I never would have even thought to try before, like farro. All the recipes have been delicious and pretty easy to make. Last night we had tandoori chicken with raita and rice with squash and mint. One of the things on next week's menu is shrimp with squid ink spaghetti. Believe me, I never would have thought to run to the store for squid ink spaghetti.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I tried a tortilla lasagna for fun. So easy! Friends could not tell if it was pasta or not. very tasty as well.
    http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/mea...tilla-lasagna/

I'm going to try that tortilla lasagna, razz! Thanks for sending the link.

And Catherine, I'm thinking I'm going to try Blue Apron this summer. I'm single, but I'm thinking it might be a fun social thing to invite another single friend over to make a meal together. And friends who have done it have passed down some recipes to me, and I've liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post

And Catherine, I'm thinking I'm going to try Blue Apron this summer. I'm single, but I'm thinking it might be a fun social thing to invite another single friend over to make a meal together. And friends who have done it have passed down some recipes to me, and I've liked them.
    Honestly, my DH and I have ALWAYS been oil and water in the kitchen, but for some reason, we work seamlessly in the kitchen when we do Blue Apron, so I think your idea of inviting a friend is a great one.

ETA: We had the squid ink spaghetti last night and it was delicious!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have to say that DH and I have managed to try 3 new recipes a week using Blue Apron. Their recipes have yet to let me down and I've tried a lot of things I never would have even thought to try before, like farro. All the recipes have been delicious and pretty easy to make. Last night we had tandoori chicken with raita and rice with squash and mint. One of the things on next week's menu is shrimp with squid ink spaghetti. Believe me, I never would have thought to run to the store for squid ink spaghetti.
    I love farro, I hadn't tried it but bought it a long time ago and had it in my pantry. Very filling also, I didn't get hungry like sometimes I do after a vegetarian meal. It is somewhat like buckwheat.

I am enjoying getting into some of my old health food recipes. They seem to be making a comeback. I spent a few years with lentils and rice as my base food with vegetables on top. It was like my ramen noodles of college days.

ej, that is a great idea. If I try it then I could get a dinner buddy. My son and his girlfriend live with me but we rarely eat together.

Today is Avocado icecream, I have a recipe with frozen banana and one without. I dislike banana so I am leaning to the other. Has anyone ever made this, thoughts?

Thread Information