Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: USA carries out air strikes on Syria

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I just left the Mexican deli at Food City down the street. I ran into a neighborhood activist there and we talked of many things including this missile attack in Syria. I'm not an activist to the point that this youngish lady from Augascalientes is, but she tells me that Trump is now being seen as a Warmonger in the 85006, along with many other unflattering attributes/adjectives. Apparently there is going to be a protest later today and I'm bummed as I'm working a lunch banquet and a long dinner banquet and then prepping for a breakfast banquet the following day, so I'm unable to participate. My point however is that my take on this is far from isolated as your post would seem to imply. Rob
    What kind of world are we living in when the 85006 and alt Right boogeyman Steve Bannon agree? Bannon's isolationist ideas are now absent from the National Security Council.

I guess this is one of those political circles where the far right meet the far left.

Personally, I am not sure "isolationist" is a bad word for U.S. policy, though.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-9-17 at 2:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    Why is killing with sarin so much worse than killing with bombs? Ours or theirs.
    The theory I was taught in "War 101" was that it related to the "proportionality" rule. You were obligated to try limiting the level of force to that required for the mission. Broadcast chemical weapons are listed among those being so difficult to control and indiscriminate in effect as to violate that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What kind of world are we living in when the 85006 and alt Right boogeyman Steve Bannon agree? Bannon's isolationist ideas are now absent from the National Security Council.

I guess this is one of those political circles where the far right meet the far left.

Personally, I am not sure "isolationist" is a bad word for U.S. policy, though.
    It certainly sounds better and more honest than "lead from behind".

But I'm not sure that "isolationism" isn't an unrealistic extreme on the spectrum of "do nothing to world savior". Aren't there options, short of direct occupation, available to us in nasty cases like Syria? At the risk of being called hypocritical by people who ask why we intervened here instead of there, can't we judiciously apply force short of war as the opportunity presents itself? Doing the occasional small kindness of savaging a chemical weapons facility or killing a terrorist chieftain doesn't necessarily mean we need to act as the cop on every global block .

Oslo train station and airport security very very serious this morning. Waitress at Oslo airport restaurant promised us "Stockholm is usually very safe, this sort of thing never happens.". Security at Stockholm airport through the roof.

Muslim cab driver on the way to our apartment struck up a conversation with how upset he was by this violence, and took us on an off-the-clock tour of our new neighborhood, and pointed out some nice dinner spots.

So far, still alive....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Oslo train station and airport security very very serious this morning. Waitress at Oslo airport restaurant promised us "Stockholm is usually very safe, this sort of thing never happens.". Security at Stockholm airport through the roof.

Muslim cab driver on the way to our apartment struck up a conversation with how upset he was by this violence, and took us on an off-the-clock tour of our new neighborhood, and pointed out some nice dinner spots.

So far, still alive....
    Pics of your new neighborhood or it didn't happen.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    you've been watching Fox too much. Things can be easily photoshopped.

Just a few blocks away, just now. Flowers and a "free hugs" event for their first responders.

Thread Information