Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USA carries out air strikes on Syria

I spent an interesting afternoon today in Oslo in the square in front of the Nobel Peace Center chatting with folks from all over the world about this, including a fair number from Syria - the takeaway is "too bad things are so complicated and there are no good answers." Saw lots of uniformed, very serious Norwegian military folks moving with purpose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Saw lots of uniformed, very serious Norwegian military folks moving with purpose as well.
    Possibly related to the Stockholm attack?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Possibly related to the Stockholm attack?
    That seems like a reasonable theory. Tonight, the police officers wandering around who were unarmed earlier in the day seem to have armed themselves. The streets here would be positively ripe for that sort of truck/auto attack. I also noticed that there are raisable bollards on many of the street/square entrances, and they mostly seem to be in the "raised" position now.

Interesting times.

goddamn it, the bastards might actually try for another regime change. ****ing hell.

(ok if there are bad word censors here they can ding me, but that is my impression of this)
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I can say with certainty that the 85006 does not approve of this attack. I spoke with a Nicaraguan family here legally and they were of the opinion that the US needs to get it's own house in order before hypocritically exporting war to other countries and I could not agree more. It's beyond hypocritical to want to build a wall against your second largest trading partner (Mexico) and then send missiles to Syria. I don't know how much what little is left of middle class America or those above that level understand this but the lower social classes get this, and at least that gives me some hope and some comfort. Little good does my hope and comfort do for innocent dead Syrians, however. Rob
    You forgot to include everyone on my Facebook feed also seems to be against. The general hypothesis on my fee seems to be along the lines of that the Syrians were notified via Russia so that there would be minimal deaths but president little hands could look tough, and maybe at least for a day, everyone would be distracted from the steady flow of names of trump folks who talked to Russia prior to the election.

The general hypothesis on my fee seems to be along the lines of that the Syrians were notified via Russia so that there would be minimal deaths but president little hands could look tough, and maybe at least for a day, everyone would be distracted from the steady flow of names of trump folks who talked to Russia prior to the election.
    of course this is also the best case scenario, so may we dearly hope this is true and no further escalation takes place.
    Trees don't grow on money

Add Mitch McConnell to the list of people against the attack. At least when it was a democratic president who wanted to do such an attack...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ffec9c7f75ae

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Sarin gas use should be everyone's line in the sand.
    Why is killing with sarin so much worse than killing with bombs? Ours or theirs.

And at Akershus Fortress yesterday, the "ceremonial" guards were wearing body armor under their period wool outfits, and carrying HK416Ks, as well as sabers. On a hot sunny day. Poor devils. The Munch Museum had airport-level security going into the exhibit spaces - detectors, baggage scanners, and so on.

Lots of mounted police officers in the streets today, loaded for bear.

The streets and plazas and boardwalks are packed with people having fun and going about their business.

And heck, blowing stuff up is great for political fundraising too!

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenatorLu...ey-always-were

Thread Information