Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My uncle overdosed and is up in heaven now...

My uncle overdosed and is up in heaven now...

Well, it appears as though my dopioid uncle met his maker today. He was either gobbling or snorting pills, though it is possible he had a spike in his arm. We're still waiting on details.

Just a couple years ago his son, at age 19, was drunk driving at 1am and smashed his truck into an oak tree. The engine pushed into the cab and trapped him in there while the car caught on fire and was eventually engulfed in flames. He burned to death.

His daughter is a "recovering" junkie too. She now works as a bartender in Chicago. My prediction: She will be "clean" for about 5 minutes.

My aunt is an active alcoholic, though she was clean from about 1984 - 2000. She drinks daily now, she actually drank at the bar with her son (the 19 year old who burned to death).

UltraliteAngler,
    i'm truly sorry about your family.

Thanks. I am annoyed and unsettled, but it is not expected.

I am sorry, it seems like you have had more than your fair share of addictions. It is very painful to watch that, and lose people.

Even though it isn't unexpected due to the long slow slide, it is still hard to hear. There is a branch in my own family that is one tragedy after another. It is never about if you get the call but when. It is unsettling and I'm sorry you are going through this.

Yppej
    Have you gone to Nar Anon or Al Anon?

I'm sorry, UA. It always feels like such a sad waste of a life.

I'm so sorry, UA. I understand your annoyance, I really do. I get angry at alcohol all the time. One of my favorite lines is that one from Mommy Dearest where Joan Crawford (who was a clean freak) came home to find a ring of dirt around the potted plant in the white marble lobby. She yelled at her quaking housekeeper who started apologizing profusely.

But Joan said to her, "I'm not mad at YOU, Mary. I'm mad at the DIRT." That's how I feel about alcoholics. I'm never mad at them (well, sometimes I am). I'm really mad at the "dirt" that stole their souls. It really sucks.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Funny to read an atheist writing about relatives going to heaven.
    Addiction is a tragedy for everyone and so hard on families.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm sorry UL. It's a lot to process, feel and accept.

Thread Information