Thread: Mead

Mead

Our friend used our organic apples plus his friend's honey to make Cyser Mead.

He told us it would be dry, which surprised me. We opened a bottle and it WAS dry, as well as smelling like honey and apples.

He keeps several bottles each year long term, and it just gets better. It is supposed to become carbonated and present as a champaign when it is fully aged.

what a surprise, it is much better than I imagined it would be. It has a high alcohol content, around 16%. That is fun, too!

I wonder if it tastes something like kombucha, which is about as close as I get to drinking wine. It sounds intriguing...

I did some beer home brewing at a time and a friend who gave me a 5 gallon pail of honey he's received in a barter deal with a farmer. I can't say that I ever developed a great taste for it, but of the three or four batches I made it was basically drinkable and I can appreciate it's cultural history. No doubt a different brewing technique might have had better results. The best was a sparkling carbonated mead that used raspberries. If I remember correctly, mead gets better with age much like wine. It was bottled in regular 12 oz beer bottles and I will say one thing. A single bottle would gave me a very memorable headache. It was definitely a fun project. After a glass or two I could picture a great hall full of boisterous Vikings drinking mead from flagons while gnawing meat off the bone.

We got some great mead in Maine a few years back made with a touch of chili. We had it at a restaurant mixed with pineapple juice, a concoction they called the "Newcastle Stinger." We liked it well enough to track down and buy several bottles to bring home with us.

I too used to homebrew. I attempted mead a couple of times and was less than thrilled with the results. Having tasted real mead I'm aware that it was my lack of skill/knowledge and not that mead sucks... That said, I'm not a major lover of mead and wouldn't seek it out, but I also wouldn't turn it down if a friend who knew what they were doing had made some and offered it to me. Back when I was brewing, though, after those attempts at mead I instead used honey as a supplement to regular beer. For a while I was on a major wheat beer kick and made a couple of really tasty batches of honey wheat.

Thread Information