Thread: I signed up for online dating

I signed up for online dating

I was in 2 long term relationships, my marriage of ten yrs, then 7 yrs with a man I met on Match. Due to being sick and having gained a lot of wt the past 2 yrs, I have had zero interest in dating. Then my GF started dating someone she met online and she hasn't had a BF in 30 years! Worried 30 yrs could easily slip by, I decided to try "fat match", a site for plus sized people. Not one of those sites where men fetishize large women, I don't intend to stay large and that's just not my thing.

So far, so good. Got a few emails, but some of the people are very far away so that seems pointless. I emailed one man who loves dachshunds since I do too. Who knows, this may be an effort in futility. I don't know any men personally who are attracted to overweight people, so nothing may happen. Just happy to put myself back out there.

any advice?

I think that is awesome! I had an overweight friend that met her husband on such a site. Many people want to connect and it is harder as we age.

thanks, Teacher Terry

Good for you and that you feel physically healthy enough to do this. I wouldn't rule out a not specifically plus sized dating site if there are more people on it, I mean if you have a few recent pics up it's going to be obvious you aren't skinny kwim (but then maybe neither is he ...)
    Trees don't grow on money

OMG, I'm inundated with people from all over the world, I can't keep up. Some got offended and said I was a snob because I didn't call them right away. Yikes, who needs that? Plus, I want someone in my state at least, not from Norway. this is not going to be easy.

I met my husband through online dating, and I'm fairly confident I would have never met him otherwise. However, I kissed a LOT of frogs before then. My advice is to look at it as more of a fun hobby than a mission. Take a break when you need to...most sites will allow you to hide your profile or make yourself unavailable. I found that the craziest looney-birds were on Match, though--just sayin'! I don't regret any time I spent on those sites or meeting those people, though...I learned a lot about different types of men and a lot about myself. I learned to be more confident and assertive, and that's served me well. Have fun, weed out the time-wasters quickly, and don't let yourself be conned or manipulated!

how did you deal with the long distance thing? There aren't enough people to pick from on the site that live near me.

I had fun the last time I did online dating, I think you can't take it too seriously at least at first.

Doing (online or other type of blind) dating as a fun hobby is about like saying: approach job interviewing as a fun hobby, don't take it so seriously, try to look at job interviewing as the fun of learning a bit about all kinds of companies and not as a mission of finding a new job. Well it sure would be nice if that type of pure Zen were easily achieved - but generally it's not.

I did meet my bf through online dating. I have tried long distance relationships before, they did not work (and by long I don't mean an hour commute or something - that is totally doable - I mean cross country). That's why I kind of said if there aren't enough people on that site, try more sites. But I don't know if you live in a small town it's just hard. Lots of people within that state but not up-state
    Trees don't grow on money

I am feeling like online dating makes me bitter.

Can you put parameters on your profile, for example, only within x miles radius?
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information