Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stress level soaring dudes,

stress level soaring dudes,

I am short one staff as of Friday. My assistant who is awesome, in program every day and does a lot of the paperwork support had her last day. So I was going into this week hurting. A new hire is in the system and is having her fingerprints done this Thursday, then there will be a few more days of waiting before she can start.

And then I get a call from a staff person's son that she was in a serious car accident and was in the freakin' hospital! This is sooo not funny. She is in a neck brace for a week and a half, so I am not sure I want her back with kids for a full 2 weeks. I do not want her to get hurt any more.

At this point I just have to laugh, my supervisor is coming over some days, we are just fudging it and glad that not every kids comes. We have 65 registered and usually do not go over 30.

My advice: Give significantly fewer f*cks about work.

Life does throw its curves, doesn't it? You can do it, keep repeating that "I can do this".

I was reading the Book of Joy with the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu and one of them stated:

If there is a problem and there is a solution, there is nothing to be concerned about.
    If there is a problem and there is little to nothing that can be done about, there is no point in being concerned.
    I was irritated about that view at first and then realized that it was probably the wisest approach to challenges.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am getting there, there is only so much you can do with a situation like this. Just get in program and work. There is something about not having choices that helps you relax and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    My advice: Give significantly fewer f*cks about work.
    Completely unhelpful.

Just to open the doors and to keep them open, the OP has to do certain things or see that they get done, and those things are non-negotiable. Let's hope there are a few things she can let go of and her organization will support her at that. She will be unable to deliver these work products until her department is fully staffed.

Yup, I take care of children. Giving fewer f**s is not a good idea. The licensing requirements are extensive, and I have to set up a new summer site with all the licensing requirements for the new site as well.

However learning to manage it all is good. I was getting much better at delegating before my assistant quit, so now I know better how to do it. I will need it for summer program. We are getting some serious pressure on summer camp, but I can't care too much at this point. And I am losing it with a family, probably said too much to the other family involved in the drama. People who call the police on kids make me mad. I pulled in all sorts of supervisors so they can handle it now. I never ask for help, but I kinda have to. And no time to worry about much, just get to the next thing on the list as quickly as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Yup, I take care of children. Giving fewer f**s is not a good idea. The licensing requirements are extensive, and I have to set up a new summer site with all the licensing requirements for the new site as well.

However learning to manage it all is good. I was getting much better at delegating before my assistant quit, so now I know better how to do it. I will need it for summer program. We are getting some serious pressure on summer camp, but I can't care too much at this point. And I am losing it with a family, probably said too much to the other family involved in the drama. People who call the police on kids make me mad. I pulled in all sorts of supervisors so they can handle it now. I never ask for help, but I kinda have to. And no time to worry about much, just get to the next thing on the list as quickly as I can.
    Hope the staffing situation resolves quickly -- what a horrid time for your colleague to have a car accident, not that there would ever be a good time.

Only thing I've found helpful in such situations is to be really sure my list is in priority order -- critical things first -- which you no doubt already do.

Thank you all, I am just planning on really long days and some weekend work. Not fighting the work load.

Meanwhile there is a family that is driving me bonkers, much more stress than being short staffed. I got really frustrated and shared too much with one family in the situation which got to the principal and my supervisor. The supervisor was really nice about it, I am kicking myself. So just when I start feeling really bad, like I haven't emphathized enough with the victim family and made time for them I get a text at 7:30 am about a club we signed their child up for. They wanted to know, by text, all the enrolled students. They know that I am not going to enroll the bully student in any clubs their child is in. We have had that conversation multiple times. So we are back to where it was during summer program when they were looking for bullying everywhere. Feeling a little more justified in being stressed over this and not so perfect.

I made a suggestion in another thread--pass this one along to your supervisor and the school social worker.

ZG: I really feel for you. I spent my working life in human services and it is very different then being a paper pusher. Easy to not give a **** if you do paperwork all day but when you are dealing with people's lives you have to stay on top of things and of course these types of programs are frequently understaffed or people quit a lot, etc.

Thread Information