Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I'm bummed..........and overwhelmed, and mad, and sad.........

City people are just clueless. I get it.

In the past 48 hours I saw two monarch butterflies here. Two separate ones, in different gardens a mile from each other. This generated discussion amoung several of us, DH taking the point of view that I was wrong, it was a moth (!) on the first sighting. By the second sighting he was ready to agree that I knew what I was talking about. My friend who is into pollinator gardens offered the opinion that they might have over wintered or come back early, hard to know. These are old butterflies, their powder is worn. We will put our orange slices for them since there isn't much nector around at this time of year.

Monarchs here in the first part of April is unusual.

Iris Lilies, should we join together and form City Lover's Unite? I love the way people have again fallen in love with our downtown and the tiny areas around it. We have all kinds of renovations to worker's cottages. Tear downs are rare and usually due to inability to renovate or fire. Even business buildings on the edge of usefulness have been returned to useful life often as live work buildings. I love seeing all the young people downtown.

We even had a four block stretch of brick street in front of our house totally rebuilt and it is lovely. Of course, there had to be one person who bemoaned the unevenness of brick and wanted asphalt or cement. Duh.

I have not seen any butterflies but I am very happy to have seen some bees and the birds are back to being noisy in the early morning.

Oh, and we continue to grow up with one apartment building going in at over 20 stories and another one with about 10. The more we bring in downtown, the more we will keep down the need for suburban apartment sprawl. But there is a downside in that downtown living is expensive and many might need to room together.

I'm not dissing city folks at all. I was just saying that if you live in the city, you might not realize how much land is being lost outside your area. sweetana........look at Carmel, Fishers, and now Westfield. And the other day I drove through the south side of Zionsville, that used to be woods. There are several big subdivisions going in now. It's just overwhelming. I mean that Grand Park in Westfield? And now it's attracting all sorts of Hotels, Restaurants, businesses, etc. What was wrong with these places when they were small towns and people loved living a slower life in them?

And what iritates the poop out of me is when developers come in, and with the mayor's and other city officials say "We need growth and development to increase our tax base." DUH!!! It doesn't do that. It just makes the needs greater.
    "The Meek shall inherit the earth" is just wishful thinking. It's the aggressors who will remain standing.....but what will they be standing in the middle of??
    Oh well......it's a good thing I have beautiful memories and images in my head of simpler, more peaceful times and places.

We moved from the burbs into our city 5 years ago. I love it because we can walk to downtown for all the festivals, etc. I also love how all the houses are different, etc. I have lived in rural areas too but much prefer to be close to everything. I also don't like to drive so being in town makes everything closer.

I had to reset my password and now am showing up as a new member. Not sure what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    "The Meek shall inherit the earth" is just wishful thinking. ..
    Oh well......it's a good thing I have beautiful memories and images in my head of simpler, more peaceful times and places.
    I think that verse refers more to a state of mind or being than a political or cultural statement. But I do know what you mean.

Last summer I serendipitously spent time with the then-owners of the summer home I frequently talk about here.. My utopia. The did a wonderful job of honoring the place. It was still just a cottage (albeit a $750k one today) uninsulated. They made VERY few changes, and I could have zapped myself back to the 60s and 70s and been right there with Aunt Florence. I was so grateful to them for that.

But they told me during that visit that they had to sell because the father was elderly and not in good health and they were afraid to be so far from medical services. They did sell it a few months back. I don't know who bought it, but I just have visions of them modernizing it, making it "open concept" with granite countertops and all kinds of features for today's style of entertaining and completely ignoring the Craftsman details and the smell of salt and timber.

Cathy, I decided to shut the door on those memories. I will never drive near the place again. My last photos are from last summer, of the second owners of the place (after my aunt and uncle), and I just can't stand to see my memories tampered with.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I had to reset my password and now am showing up as a new member. Not sure what happened.
    The Junior Member title is a reflection of the number of posts you've made, it will change to Member after 30 posts.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Sometimes I feel like a masochist. I like to think of it more that I continue to think of things that were beautiful, even though it gives me pain. It's sort of like a beautiful, but really sad movie. I like to see the richness of it, in spite of its intense sadness.
    Maybe it would be better for me to (as you termed it Catherine) shut the door on those memories.

A movie I really liked (probably lots of folks here wouldn't have), is Trip to Bountiful. When Geraldine Page's character made that determined trip to the house she grew up in and her conversation there ripped my heart out. But it was real and beautiful.

My mind is always flying back to places I've lived in the past and looking around. For my first 10 years we lived at the end of a dead-end street. But behind us, facing another road, was my grandpap's house. So the area between our houses was all ours. We had a creek to play in, and woods. then we moved to another house out in the country with woods and neighbors with farms and horses that we rode. We ice-skated on frozen swamps and road our sleds down country roads. My whole life, all I wanted was to live in the country.
    It's hard to think of anyone else ever living in any of our houses.......and what they might do to the property. But time marches on......and I can't help but feel melancholy about that.

Alan, I am confused because I was TeacherTerry for 4 years and could not remember my password and when I changed it it changed my name and acted like I am a new member.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Alan, I am confused because I was TeacherTerry for 4 years and could not remember my password and when I changed it it changed my name and acted like I am a new member.
    It would appear you have two separate accounts. The Terry account was created on 5/15/13 and the Teacher Terry account was created the following December. Both are currently active and have similar, yet different, email accounts associated with them.

It looks like you logged into an earlier account.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information