Thread: The Great War on PBS

The Great War on PBS

Tonight starts the three part series on the PBS American Experience...The Great War. Historians and media seem to have mined WWII and the Civil War in every nook and cranny, but WWI has been in the historical shadows. I'm looking forward to it.

Yppej
    I saw your title and thought it was about Trump waging a budget war on public television. So your detail was a pleasant surprise.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Thanks, will watch.

My father's father fought in that war. I hang his Silver Star on my bedroom wall where I can see it every morning as a reminder to keep the challenges of my day in proper perspective.

I learned a whole lot about WW I from the original film series, Upstairs Downstairs. There is an entire year of episodes devoted to the war years. It starts with the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. (I think Downtown Abbey pinched this idea.) The effect on the entire household is well told through the different classes. Also, genders. It's well portrayed and thorough. It's especially interesting as you see the end of the war and after affects. The men coming back and the changes in the entire British system of class and work. There was also an economic down turn that had long term consequences. One of the principal characters is haunted by his experience as a soldier and never ever truly comes back. Also, I had no idea London was boomed during the war.

The other terrific film is Birdsong with Eddy Redmayne. There's a book as well. Both are well presented and give the reader or viewer a lot to understand. Masterpiece Theater has devoted several productions to WWI. I can think of two: To Serve Them All my Days and another telling the story of Vera Brittain. She lost all her brothers in the war. It wasn't unusual.

I learned and felt more through the dramatic presentations and preferred this to a documentary.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I actually learned more about WWII by reading Sarah's Key. It's one thing to show static images and talk, but to read and experience day to day life in France is completely riveting to me. I am still stunned by her story and the events. Yes, it's creative fiction/non fiction but the best way for me to absorb and appreciate that as messy as the times seem, I have no idea what it would have been like for my country to be at war and having it go on all around me. I cannot connect to soldiers in Afghanistan. It's distant and the bombs and soldiers aren't in my neighborhood. I didn't have to flee and leave my homeland to save my life.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

To learn about WWI, I would read Wilfred Owen, Ford Madox Ford, and Hemingway, a little Upton Sinclair to cover the post World War I, and you are in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I actually learned more about WWII by reading Sarah's Key. It's one thing to show static images and talk, but to read and experience day to day life in France is completely riveting to me. I am still stunned by her story and the events. Yes, it's creative fiction/non fiction but the best way for me to absorb and appreciate that as messy as the times seem, I have no idea what it would have been like for my country to be at war and having it go on all around me. I cannot connect to soldiers in Afghanistan. It's distant and the bombs and soldiers aren't in my neighborhood. I didn't have to flee and leave my homeland to save my life.
    I'm beginning to think we may find out before too long. I half expect the two truculent tyrants involved to start lobbing missiles any minute--and I bet Seattle is in Kim's crosshairs.

Thread Information