Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm bummed..........and overwhelmed, and mad, and sad.........

I made it a point to buy our retirement house here in Colorado in an inner city neighborhood. Every time we owned or rented a house semi-rural, it would get developed and we found ourselves surrounded by subdivisions. And we got tired of driving 11 miles to the grocery. Inner burbs are so much more enjoyable now that we have known both. I worry about my 70 yr old brother living in a tiny town with few services. The hospital is miles away. When we made the trip across three states to resettle, it was plainly evident that many small towns are dying, lots of rural property for sale, etc.

I grew up country but intend to ride out my end days in the city. I want to be in close community and within walking distance of places to visit. We can walk to town now and do but it takes a half hour or more to get home and after dark I would like a shorter walk in a well lighted area instead of a dark trail. I'm thinking a lot of planned communities are going to sprout up in the next several years. I love our place but it is a lot to handle in the yard and garden department.

I could live in the city, and have. I could live in a suburb--my preference--and have. I could live in a smallish town, I think, depending on the town. I would never live in the country, miles away from libraries and every amenity I value. (And all the ticky-tacky developments that spring up in cow pastures out there really are horribly depressing.) I get all the nature I want here in my leafy suburb a few blocks from a large, heavily treed park. Actually, every square foot around here is heavily treed. I could, theoretically, walk to town, and bus service is also within reach. As I get older and feebler though, the idea of a compact community with everything close at hand gets more attractive to me. Time will tell where I end up...

Yppej
    I am one of the vast commuters sweetana writes about. I have been doing an hour commute each way or close to it for 23 years, during which time I have applied to hundreds of jobs trying to get something closer to home without luck, either because the posting is pro forma and someone already has an in to get the job (especially the case in union shops), or it pays starvation wages. Housing costs near the job-rich areas are 3 to 4 times higher than where I live so moving closer to work is not an option. Most of the work could easily have been handled by telecommuting, but my bosses would not allow this. Elites seem to be flocking together and setting up companies in close proximity near the upscale restaurants they frequent. I don't see tax credits drawing many businesses to underserved areas.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Iris Lilies, should we join together and form City Lover's Unite? I love the way people have again fallen in love with our downtown and the tiny areas around it. We have all kinds of renovations to worker's cottages. Tear downs are rare and usually due to inability to renovate or fire. Even business buildings on the edge of usefulness have been returned to useful life often as live work buildings. I love seeing all the young people downtown.

We even had a four block stretch of brick street in front of our house totally rebuilt and it is lovely. Of course, there had to be one person who bemoaned the unevenness of brick and wanted asphalt or cement. Duh.

I have not seen any butterflies but I am very happy to have seen some bees and the birds are back to being noisy in the early morning.

Oh, and we continue to grow up with one apartment building going in at over 20 stories and another one with about 10. The more we bring in downtown, the more we will keep down the need for suburban apartment sprawl. But there is a downside in that downtown living is expensive and many might need to room together.
    Yesterday morning I met up with friends in downtown Boston - went to the Armenian Holocaust memorial and walked the labyrinth there. Did a good portion of the Harborwalk, had coffee, walked back up through the Greenway. After we split up I walked back through the Commons and the gardens to get back to the subway. A good day.

Alan, thanks so much for the info!! I had no clue I had 2 accounts.

Thread Information