Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I know people in the 85006 who donate plasma to afford their free smartphone with the $30 plan. Their general thought is that it's worth it to donate plasma to protect themselves from American police via smartphone video. Rob
    That sounds like a great plot for a movie!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That sounds like a great plot for a movie!

Perhaps. Unfortunately it's the reality of US citizenship for many people today. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Perhaps. Unfortunately it's the reality of US citizenship for many people today. Rob
    Could you put a number on it? Of the people who sell their blood to pay for their smartphones?

Most of the people in my life I've known who sold their blood did it to pay for food, or rent, or various forms of entertainment. Never seen someone donate blood for their data plan before. Still, at the rates AT&T charges...

If your neighbors are selling blood to pay for phones to protect themselves from the police, while also living in a high crime area. Why aren't you convincing them to flee south. I'm sure Mexico would welcome them with open arms.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    If your neighbors are selling blood to pay for phones to protect themselves from the police, while also living in a high crime area. Why aren't you convincing them to flee south. I'm sure Mexico would welcome them with open arms.
    Many do go back to Mexico once they have worked here and saved some buckage - it's cheaper for them there and they can get out of working quicker this way. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Could you put a number on it? Of the people who sell their blood to pay for their smartphones?

Most of the people in my life I've known who sold their blood did it to pay for food, or rent, or various forms of entertainment. Never seen someone donate blood for their data plan before. Still, at the rates AT&T charges...
    People are struggling in the 85006 Bae.....people in the 85006 like anywhere do what they have to do to get to the next day. But donating plasma is a relatively easy way to pull in $250 or so a month - I know as I used to do it and still do from time to time. Some of my neighbors donate as a side income stream to save money or for specific bills, and I know several people who donate twice a month just for their $30 cell phone plan with smartphone with video capability, for reasons I don't really need to go into yet AGAIN at this point. Rob

I just had a thought - with all the latest Trump scandals, if the process of Impeachment does (or does not) move along, certainly there will be some intense protests coming up! So there's something to be grateful for right there. Rob

I think the one thing that this disaster has created which is positive is that people are waking up and getting involved politically. They can no longer stand to just watch what is happening in our country. I know people that have never been to a protest in their lives that are doing so now.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think American political humor (and maybe American humor in general) has been in decline since at least the turn of the century. All the TV clowns except maybe Fallon seem to have joined "the resistance". I feel like if I'm not being scolded, I'm being lectured to by a substitute social studies teacher.

The turn of which century? Seems like political humor has always been laced with negative sarcasm that may have it's own constructive purpose, but does get tiring after a while.

“The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think the one thing that this disaster has created which is positive is that people are waking up and getting involved politically. They can no longer stand to just watch what is happening in our country. I know people that have never been to a protest in their lives that are doing so now.
    I visited an old friend's FB page to see her joyfully describing her attendance at the local Women's March--"My first one in 67 years!" Honestly if I had to guess, I would have guessed her to be a Republican, but a couple of anti-Trump memes displayed on her wall made me wonder. If there's anything redeeming about this deplorable getting elected, it's that he's really galvanized the apathetic among us.

Thread Information