Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You mentioned you were passing up an opportunity for paid employment during the hours of the protest. My thought was that if you prefer outside events over income generating activities, maybe you could combine the two. There are groups which will pay you to stand around and look angry. Seems like a win/win to me.
    With all due respect, I would refuse any compensation for my protesting activities other than donated food and drink.....I can't be America if I am protesting against America, you know? Not only do I deserve better but so do all the people I protest for in the 85006. Clearly you don't understand class loyalty, Alan....but to your credit I have observed that people who have been able to dodge living in fear of America don't as a rule understand class loyalty. As your President would tweet, and often has, SAD. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Once we have a guaranteed basic income in place, we'll all have plenty of time to protest as much as we want! It'll be great!

And think of all the time we'll save grocery shopping!

Basic income will have to happen eventually to keep society safe for the upper one percent.....eventually things will get to this point and if the very upper percentage has any common sense (highly debateable) there will be a basic income scheme of some kind eventually. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've always managed to attend protests around my work schedules; snark not appreciated.
    Same here, and I really appreciate your classy response, Jane! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    With all due respect, I would refuse any compensation for my protesting activities other than donated food and drink.....I can't be America if I am protesting against America, you know? Not only do I deserve better but so do all the people I protest for in the 85006. Clearly you don't understand class loyalty, Alan....but to your credit I have observed that people who have been able to dodge living in fear of America don't as a rule understand class loyalty. As your President would tweet, and often has, SAD. Rob
    Are you sure it's class loyalty? Class is not an ideology, what you describe seems more like a celebration of perceived victimization. I find the whole concept confusing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I find it interesting that he has been evidently raised as a victim. Is this the way those that end up in the 85006 feel. I remember at a very young age being taught that if I wanted something I needed to plan and work toward that goal. If things didn't work out it was generally from poor planing or lack of effort.

If if I wanted nice things I shouldn't expect others to give them to me.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    This discussion has turned ugly and mean. and it does not need to be.
    Since the Election I have been trying hard to talk to people who voted for and still support Trump. It is very difficult to keep my mouth shut and try to learn about others peoples views, no matter if I think they are wrong. If all we do is criticize and bully people who do not think like us our society is doomed.
    People are raised differently. Their life experiences shape them. If we were all the same life will be dull.
    Rob, I disagree with a lot of your viewpoints. I don't agree the solution is to have big lawsuit settlements. cradle to grave support by a government is not feasible or even desirable. I do believe it is wrong for the richest in our country get immensely richer, while the most vulnerable, like the sick and poor are allowed to get sicker and poorer, at the same time running up the deficit. Because cutting taxes, increasing military and infrastructure spending doesn't add up.
    I still think we are the greatest country in the world. Surely we can do better in managing our money than what we do. And surely we can be a kinder, ore tolerant and civilized society as we work out our differences.

Flowers everywhere, You stated my feelings well. thanks.

Rob's interplay with Alan, bae, and sometimes LDAHL is a most interesting dynamic. It is one of my favorite parts of being on this forum.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Rob's interplay with Alan, bae, and sometimes LDAHL is a most interesting dynamic. It is one of my favorite parts of being on this forum.
    I think that comes from radically divergent perspectives. Can access to any scarce economic resource be a "right"? I tend to think of rights in terms of areas where government is prohibited from interfering rather than areas where it is required to interfere.

Does some people having more than others constitute an intolerably unfair situation, or does it simply reflect variations in individual talent, discipline or luck? I'm inclined toward the latter view.

Are we owed something from our countrymen, or is that a bargain we are constantly renegotiating through the political process? I'm not inclined to see "America" as a sort of entity that bears guilt requiring anyone's forgiveness.

Are we ripe for a revolution of angry zip codes? I sincerely doubt it.

It just seems like playground bullying to me, and not in the least entertaining, or an "interesting dynamic." Unless the "mean girls" is an interesting dynamic.