Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Last night I took part in a protest against United Airlines and I have to say, this really was good for my soul and it is something I need to do much more often. I am hoping to see the demise of United Airlines due to their inexcusable actions - really, there is no excuse for United going forward to continue operations - and I am hoping in some very small way my participating helps to bring them down. In a very, very, very small way, of course. Rob

I heard this guy would be taking names and dragging people down the aisle on United.

Where can I sign up?

IMG_0027.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    I heard this guy would be taking names and dragging people down the aisle on United.

Where can I sign up?

IMG_0027.JPG
    You can have him all to yourself IL.....LOL. He's really not my type and in all seriousness, I don't care to ever be dragged off a plane and caught up in a whirlwind of insanity through no fault of my own as the unfortunate Dr. Dao hae been, regardless of his pending and likely highly successful multi-million dollar winning lawsuit. I can just do without drama to this point, other than protesting against it's unfortunate occurrence due to turbo charged capitalism running amok. Other people's mileage may vary, though, and I do understand that. Rob

I am looking forward to the science march in a couple weeks. I am making my grandbaby a onesie with something science on it, although she is not going to the march with me.

How often do you take a plane ride between airports in your zipcode?

oh I won't fly domestically (and really it's not like i'm doing a lot of foreign travel either). Just too carbon wasteful to justify, not a saint here, but that I can avoid, and so I do.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How often do you take a plane ride between airports in your zipcode?
    I'm going to display some class by ignoring your snark and answering this question seriously.

Living in the 85006, I have more of a connection to the airport and the airline industry than you would think. The airport in Phoenix is but a ten minute cab ride away from my house, given that I live right around the corner from an on ramp to State Route 51, which allows rapid access to the airport from the 85006. Given that my neighborhood overall is struggling and lower income, many folks here work lower end positions in food and beverage or janitorial at the airport, or for Swissport (international company that airlines contract to to have basic cleaning/food prep tasks done). The airport is one of the biggest employers in the 85006, and though I don't work for the airport, I often hear airport drama from stopping and talking to my neighbors - often over a free shot of El Presidente from some of the cooler neighbors.

My point is that a malevolent (sp?) airline such as United that negatively impacts Sky Harbour International Airport is a cause of concern in the 85006 and you'd better believe people here know all about it. Please don't make the often committed middle class and above mistake of believing folks of the lower classes are uniformed - this is often not the case in my experience - probably the average Joe or Jane in the 85006 knows more about the United Airlines fiasco that the average Joe or Jane in the 85016 (85016 being a neighboring higher income zip code) - this has nothing to do with intelligence but rather with economic survival, as the airport is a large employer in this zip code as I've already stated. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'm going to display some class by ignoring your snark and answering this question seriously.

Living in the 85006, I have more of a connection to the airport and the airline industry than you would think. The airport in Phoenix is but a ten minute cab ride away from my house, given that I live right around the corner from an on ramp to State Route 51, which allows rapid access to the airport from the 85006. Given that my neighborhood overall is struggling and lower income, many folks here work lower end positions in food and beverage or janitorial at the airport, or for Swissport (international company that airlines contract to to have basic cleaning/food prep tasks done). The airport is one of the biggest employers in the 85006, and though I don't work for the airport, I often hear airport drama from stopping and talking to my neighbors - often over a free shot of El Presidente from some of the cooler neighbors.

My point is that a malevolent (sp?) airline such as United that negatively impacts Sky Harbour International Airport is a cause of concern in the 85006 and you'd better believe people here know all about it. Please don't make the often committed middle class and above mistake of believing folks of the lower classes are uniformed - this is often not the case in my experience - probably the average Joe or Jane in the 85006 knows more about the United Airlines fiasco that the average Joe or Jane in the 85016 (85016 being a neighboring higher income zip code) - this has nothing to do with intelligence but rather with economic survival, as the airport is a large employer in this zip code as I've already stated. Rob
    PS The protest was actually a lot of fun, and there were food and refreshments served, too, a nice touch I was not expecting. I recognized a few protestors from my time protesting Wells Fargo downtown this past Fall when it was revealed how criminally shady the Wells Fargo Brand truly is, and I also recognized several neighbors of mine in the 85006. We are thinking of starting a protest committee of some kind - a least a phone tree to let folks know of protests and an effort to start a car pool for those needing rides to a given protest. Rob

PS The protest was actually a lot of fun, and there were food and refreshments served, too, a nice touch I was not expecting. I recognized a few protestors from my time protesting Wells Fargo downtown this past Fall when it was revealed how criminally shady the Wells Fargo Brand truly is, and I also recognized several neighbors of mine in the 85006. We are thinking of starting a protest committee of some kind - a least a phone tree to let folks know of protests and an effort to start a car pool for those needing rides to a given protest. Rob
    Set up a phone app to connect protester with protests. You could call it Unter.

So your really protesting 85006 people having jobs? The flying public, not buying tickets on United will effect united and then by default their employee's. So by joining this protest, it would seem you are doing what your worried about.
    Your the only one bringing insults to intelligence in this conversation. I never said anything like that, and am simply trying to understand your thought process.

Thread Information