Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 152

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

  1. #131
    Moderator gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So you hate and fear America for failing to provide you with inexpensive health care. United Airlines is part of America. Therefore United Airlines is the enemy?
    It is amazing to me how conservatives can not understand something to me which seems so simple as breathing air. Ay carumba. My point once again is that I will NEVER be able to "unsee" all the years of fear I lived in in America due to lack of access to affordable health care so that the wealthy could become wealthier - this is an abuse I would not have had to tolerate in ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD. (due to every other developed country, and even a few developing countries, offering access to affordable health care to citizens). I am incapable of forgiving America for this abuse - I believe in basic human rights and basic human dignity far too much to ever forgive such - so of course these years of needless terror so that others could become wealthier will factor into ANY financial decision I make. That's just living common sense, and that's also living my values. This stance is completely non-negotiable, as I believe in basic human rights and basic human dignity. Rob

  2. #132
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan, a quick question for you: What is it about my insistence that if you wish to have my loyalty, I expect access to affordable health care for both myself and the masses in general? Every other developed country on this planet provides such access - why is my expectation for such as a price tag to anything remotely resembling loyalty such an issue/problem/inexcusable evil for conservatives such as yourself? This is something I will never understand from a basic, common sense perspective. Ball in your court, etc. Rob
    I think there's value in self-reliance and a certain amount of selfishness in expecting others to shoulder your responsibilities. I don't think it should be encouraged by a redistributionist government, but rather reserved for those in need through no fault of their own.

    And just so you know, I have no desire for anyone's loyalty, it comes at too high a cost.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #133
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,928
    I would've thought that with all his years in power that Sheriff Joe would've gotten things cleaned up by now. I guess that tent jail wasn't such a success after all.

  4. #134
    Moderator gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I would've thought that with all his years in power that Sheriff Joe would've gotten things cleaned up by now. I guess that tent jail wasn't such a success after all.
    LOL You said it.....I'm so glad to see Penzone in and the atrocity that is Tent City being dismantled. Rob

  5. #135
    Moderator gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think there's value in self-reliance and a certain amount of selfishness in expecting others to shoulder your responsibilities. I don't think it should be encouraged by a redistributionist government, but rather reserved for those in need through no fault of their own.

    And just so you know, I have no desire for anyone's loyalty, it comes at too high a cost.
    I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with you, Alan. No great surprise here but I see your stance as causing this citizenship to be less competitive with/less desirable than many others due to access to health care issue (though I will admit for the winners under ObamaCare as IL calls them (and no snark here, I've already conceded that she has a point on this) things are not as dire as they once were). Now health care insecurity has spread upwards from the lower social classes so many more people are experiencing what i know about America already. Rob

  6. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It is amazing to me how conservatives can not understand something to me which seems so simple as breathing air. Ay carumba. My point once again is that I will NEVER be able to "unsee" all the years of fear I lived in in America due to lack of access to affordable health care so that the wealthy could become wealthier - this is an abuse I would not have had to tolerate in ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD. (due to every other developed country, and even a few developing countries, offering access to affordable health care to citizens). I am incapable of forgiving America for this abuse - I believe in basic human rights and basic human dignity far too much to ever forgive such - so of course these years of needless terror so that others could become wealthier will factor into ANY financial decision I make. That's just living common sense, and that's also living my values. This stance is completely non-negotiable, as I believe in basic human rights and basic human dignity. Rob
    I understand you harbor a lot of resentment about the health care system. What I don't understand is how you apply that resentment to a dispute over a seat on a Chicago to Louisville flight.

  7. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    2,724
    Like Alan I am for helping people that can't help themselves but not for helping those that don't want to work hard. I was young, poor and a single, divorced mom at one point. I could have went on welfare and received all sorts of freebies but instead I worked a crappy job to support my son and myself. I was lucky to have family help and went to college to get a good job, etc. There is more opportunity in this country then in many. Getting somewhere requires hard work and sacrifice. Some people lack the abilities, skills, etc and will need help but not everyone. I am for single payer health care and think one day we will have it. I probably won't live to see it. However, just because we are lacking in one area does not mean we are a horrible country. All countries have issues. We have talked about this with my DIL from Poland where they have great healthcare but not enough jobs for it's people and the pay is low. When we visit the prices are so cheap for us but not for the people that live there. We shop in the best stores and eat at the most expensive restaurants while there which is not something we do in the states. Sorry Rob but utopia is a dream.

  8. #138
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    2,645
    Rob, if your mother died tomorrow, how long would it take for you and your SO to apply for residency in Mexico?

    And here's the important question: do you/would you meet the Mexican requirements for residency, including the all-important financial one?

  9. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,329
    I read this morning that the CEO of united is taking full responsibility and saying that they are turning a corner in their approach to all things customer service related.

  10. #140
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    6,256
    value in self-reliance and a certain amount of selfishness in expecting others to shoulder your responsibilities.
    The problem with that argument is that you assume that all people who who wind up with health care needs aren't self-reliant and they actually expect others to shoulder their responsibilities.

    You're in pharma, Alan, as I am. I interview patients, and these past two weeks I have been interviewing people with rare auto-immune disorders. Here's a snapshot:

    Patient A: 39 year old former funeral home director who loved her job but who now can't even get in a car to drive. No job. No insurance. No way to get the treatments that will actually help her. She recently downsized into a small apartment-it's all she can afford.

    Patient B: 41 year-old former high-powered founder of an international branding company with a million dollar home he has to sell because he was suddenly struck with this weird disease. He can't work. He can't even get off the couch. He desperately misses his old life. At least he has insurance.

    Patient C: A 55 year old woman who has had this disease since college. She can't afford the best treatment. She hates the burden she is to her family. She hates feeling like an imposition, that she's not the person she should be. So in spite of her disease, she gets herself to a part-time job with a compassionate employer and works until 1, at which point, she's totally spent for the day.

    I interview these patients and I spend my whole ride home praying, "There but for the grace of God go I." As a citizen and extended neighbor of these people, I will offer my taxes so that Patient A might be able to get back to her funeral home, and Patient B will be able to potentiate his abilities in leadership and marketing, and Patient C can have her family to dinner without feeling like she's a failure as mother and wife.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •