Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

True Bae.

also, strike the abortion example, I rethought it and it wasn't really in the category I was looking for.

Killing people maybe. Pretty much anybody who agrees that we should have a government would agree that it should regulate your right to kill people - how much and under what circumstances may vary, but even those mostly opposed to government support some kind of regulation in that area.

Apparently Mexican citizens are being granted asylum in the US because of discrimination against their sexual identity in their nation of birth. Surprised there aren't more protests in Seattle at the Mexican consulate (2132 3rd Ave if you're in the neighborhood.).

http://kuow.org/post/she-was-torture...e-fled-seattle

This section is the public policy section, aka politics, the most mean, nasty, bitter disagreement, believe what you will you can't change my mind topic that causes people to leave sites and tire of things. Best thing to do is stay out of it if your worried about getting feelings/ hurt, because it will happen. (seen it multiple times, avoided this section for a LONG time as I do like other boards ability to only view it on an opt in basis, but not an option here) As this section became more prevalent, we have lost some members which is sad. But we have also lost members for getting advice, that they asked for, and didn't agree with, or getting away from the original goals of this site as it gets more "facebooky" for lack of a better word.
    As I get older and the more :poop: I deal with, I am becoming more snarky in the way a late friend who was married to one of the Crickets was (lucky censored, died first), or the way a friend and his wife's relationship was (the carbon monoxide went off, I am going to take the kids and pets and get ice cream, you go lay down honey). I've grown up around that and a lot of bad stuff, and that is becoming a good way of dealing with it.
    I know Rob got hurt (see the ouch post), and called him on it, as he continues to speak all inclusive of his zip code as their unelected (never seen proof he is allowed to speak for them) representative. (there is no one there that disagree's with him, you can't speak about them), double standard. He wants welfare to be paid to him, in another country, without the checks and balances that come with it. Wants universal income, without working and expects to be a moderator of the working section of the forum (double standard). Wants not to hear from others, when he disagrees, but expects everyone to listen to him (double standard). That he can easily solve as the only has to give up the moderator title, so he can use and be in ignored lists. Otherwise anything double standard can be reversed by mods/site admins. (generally on any forum, one mod can't ban someone, because they have had a bad day)
    I don't see his logic as I only see him arguing emotionally. I deal with that in real life as well, example someone I know complaining that her friend only had a little to drink and yes her license was revoked, but she should be left alone, yet when a relative was killed by a drunk driver, something should be done.
    If the rules are going to apply, then they apply equally.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Apparently Mexican citizens are being granted asylum in the US because of discrimination against their sexual identity in their nation of birth. Surprised there aren't more protests in Seattle at the Mexican consulate (2132 3rd Ave if you're in the neighborhood.).

http://kuow.org/post/she-was-torture...e-fled-seattle
    The poor woman in that article was brutally tortured. She had a hysterectemy as a result. That seems worthy of protest to me, far more worthy than the air plane abuses.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think it is great that Rob has found something to energize him and give his life meaning.
    He likes Protesting and communing with neighbors in the 85006, and that is a good thing. I am sincere in that because I really am annoyed when healthy, first world people cannot seem to lead lives of purpose and contentment. I always wnder who they expect to be their mothers, to tell them what to do with their lives. We only get one life here, people!

That I think his purpose is misguided is of secondary importance although that wont keep me from arguing his logic.
    Thank You, IL.....there is so much to protest these days and it is such an experience of bonding with others and of liberation. I will definitely be protesting more in the future.....it's seems as if on a weekly basis if not more there is something new to protest. At least I can't fault America for not giving many reasons to protest.......that can not realistically be taken from this country in it's present form. Rob

I'm reminded of that scene from Rebel Without a Cause when the guy asks James Dean what he's rebelling against, and he responds "What have you got?"

I personally prefer action over activism in dealing with our issues, but it takes all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I personally prefer action over activism in dealing with our issues, but it takes all kinds.
    Where exactly is the line between the two? For instance, if enough people protest the AHCA and it results in the republican majority being thrown out of both the house and senate next year is that not action?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Where exactly is the line between the two? For instance, if enough people protest the AHCA and it results in the republican majority being thrown out of both the house and senate next year is that not action?
    People protesting dont do the throwing out of bums, people in the voting booth throw out the bums.
    Be mindful of how many of the opposition are created when you (the generic you) take to the streets for your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    People protesting dont do the throwing out of bums, people in the voting booth throw out the bums.
    Be mindful of how many of the opposition are created when you (the generic you) take to the streets for your cause.
    That's my line of thinking as well. To me, it's the difference between stocking shelves at a food bank or building houses and gathering in a crowd to insist that somebody do something. It's the difference between serving your country in uniform or some pain-in-the-butt elected office or non-profit board and telling the people in the arena where they went wrong.

Both approaches have their place. I just feel more comfortable with the first one.

I also agree with you that the proper level of obnoxiousness can often make protest counterproductive to its goals.

i guess it depends on whether the protests get news coverage and whether that coverage sways other people's opinions.

Thread Information