Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

A protest is not even getting involved politically though. Not really. I read "more people getting involved politically" and I think going to city council meetings, running for office, etc.. And I think: good but serious time commitment to actually be involved that way (and probably as motivated by Sanders as it is by Trump at this point - it's kind of central to the message people took from the Sanders campaign if any). So being a serious time commitment clearly difficult for many. In many ways protests are less being involved than voting is probably (but does depend on how much one's vote even matters in any given election).

I'm not saying to only care about local politics or something, just protests are not bad, but for the most part seem to be pretty seriously ineffective.

But the people who have never been to a protest in their lives. Well, I'm not sure I'd wear that as any sort of badge of pride (except if they are young, then they are just inexperienced). But otherwise haven't they even wanted anything to change before now, ever been outraged by any U.S. policies until now when there is so much that is wrong and continues to be wrong to a lesser or greater degree (it does vary depending on who is running things), no matter who is in charge? And they have never wanted to try that mode of engagement before? I've been to protests before etc.. Don't think they are all that effective by themselves though.
    Trees don't grow on money

It is not just going to protests but people are showing up in droves to town hall meetings, making phone calls, emails etc. So many are showing up to town hall meetings that the room is not big enough to hold everyone. People are getting involved in many different ways.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I find it interesting that he has been evidently raised as a victim. Is this the way those that end up in the 85006 feel. I remember at a very young age being taught that if I wanted something I needed to plan and work toward that goal. If things didn't work out it was generally from poor planing or lack of effort.

If if I wanted nice things I shouldn't expect others to give them to me.
    I didn't "End Up" in the 85006 - I am here to some degree by choice. Due to my background and my take on so many issues I have discussed here at great length - I really would not fit into a "nicer" area - I know too much of the wrong things for this to work at this late date. 85006 it is for me for the time being. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I didn't "End Up" in the 85006 - I am here to some degree by choice. Due to my background and my take on so many issues I have discussed here at great length - I really would not fit into a "nicer" area - I know too much of the wrong things for this to work at this late date. 85006 it is for me for the time being. Rob

The last time I flew commercial just reaffirmed my decision. It was cramped and I had to listen to kids screaming for over a hour. The trip back the guy in front of me was so big he should have had two seats. He was half way into the isle and of coarse the Seat back was all the way back close to me.

Most airline travel today is generally just moving people as cheaply as possible.

United should have just continued to raise the offers for volunteers until someone agreed to accept. Or arranged other transportation for their employees.

im going to the airport today and fly somewhere for lunch. Maybe the Keys, or St. Pete. I'll decide later.
    I love flying, commercial or otherwise. I don't see it as hassle. I see it as a chance to "rise above" the cares of the world and be totally in my own little world for the duration of the trip. I feel that way whether there's a kid sitting next to me, or a large person sitting next to me in the middle seat, or I'm in the middle seat between a kid and a large person.

I've often thought that maybe I would have enjoyed being a pilot, so I envy you that, dmc.

I think with nostalgia about the many times I've flown to Sky Harbor, Rob. I even think back nostalgically about the fact that it was a PHX-EWR segment when I had my first emergency landing and we had to circle back to PHX. I have to admit, I was pretty scared, and I had bought my daughter a silver and turquoise ring at Old Town Scottsdale for her 12th birthday, so I put my business card in the bag with the ring and tied up the bag so that if we crashed and someone found the ring in the bag, they'd get it to my daughter.

I was far less nervous for my second emergency landing.

Rob, I don't know what it's like to work for United. I honor your right to protest bad behavior as an employee or a consumer. Personally, I direct my protests to companies like Monsanto, but that's because I really do think their motives are totally nefarious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    What about the city of Chicago? Shouldn't you also be demanding the mayor be thrown out, arrested, and sued? And let's not forget about his pension.

United handled this badly, but this is will soon be forgotten by the majority of travelers.

I am a little curious about your protest party's. Do the 85006 look at protesting as a social function? Do they have a committe to chose what the next protest is going to be for? Do they sell T shirts proclaiming their zip code?
    Actually, your t-shirt idea has already been brought up at a neighborhood meeting - and shelved as a few folks said they'd be wary of a t-shirt displaying the 85006 zip code on it as police are visual predators with few if any checks or balances and can get away with literal murder with a slap on the wrist or less - so naturally, some people are afraid of giving the police any visuals as they are afraid of an illegal and unconstitutional attack. Some friendly advice? If you can't understand a word I have just typed/posted, express some gratitude to some force or power or deity greater than yourself that you are so lucky as to not understand these words. There are very few (if any) residents of the 85006 that can afford such luxury as to not understand these words. Also, there are many other US zip codes in which the residents can not afford the luxury of not understanding these words - certainly this is not limited to my small corner of Central Phoenix Arizona. Rob

Apparently United's customer service has gotten better. At least they didn't drag the kid off the plane and injure him in the process.

http://www.kitv.com/story/35811481/u...=facebook_KITV

That was really terrible!

Thread Information