Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Yes catherine people can work hard and do everything right and then something totally out of their control happens and their lives fall apart. I saw this in my work when I worked for the state helping people with disabilities get back to work. People can have lots of $ saved but it does not last when you have no job, income, health insurance, etc. It really is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The problem with that argument is that you assume that all people who who wind up with health care needs aren't self-reliant and they actually expect others to shoulder their responsibilities....
    Actually, No. I know and understand that there are many people who through no fault of their own are unable to provide for their healthcare needs. I sympathize with them and fervently believe society should provide a safety net to ensure their needs are met. On the other hand, there are an equal or higher number of citizens who are simply content to let others pay for their needs. I find it irresponsible to encourage them, especially if their loyalty is monetized and available to the highest bidder.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Rob, if your mother died tomorrow, how long would it take for you and your SO to apply for residency in Mexico?

And here's the important question: do you/would you meet the Mexican requirements for residency, including the all-important financial one?
    Hi Tradd, long time no see here, just wanted to start by saying hi. As to your post - my husband is still a Mexican citizen and has a Mexican passport. He is free to return to Mexico at will whenever he wants - it is I that would have to apply for permanent residency in Mexico. We are waiting to see if Pena Nieto's proposals to legalize gay marriage throughout the entire country pass - now it's legal in Mexico City and a few other areas but not the entire country. If it passes, we understand there is to be an immigration sponsorship provision - that would be my easy way in legally, perhaps. We shall see. Barring that, Chile or Uruguay would be of interest and would work. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    We are waiting to see if Pena Nieto's proposals to legalize gay marriage throughout the entire country pass - now it's legal in Mexico City and a few other areas but not the entire country.
    Not legal in the entire country?!?!

How could you even consider a country that doesn't support basic human rights and basic human dignity like that?

How could you ever forgive them?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Not legal in the entire country?!?!

How could you even consider a country that doesn't support basic human rights and basic human dignity like that?

How could you ever forgive them?
    Mexico has universal health care for all effective as of 2012....how's that for a start, Bae? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Mexico has universal health care for all effective as of 2012....how's that for a start, Bae? Rob
    So you don't care about all the fundamental human rights and dignities? I'm not sure how health care trumps your right to marry your spouse, but....

Is there some ranking of which rights matter?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Actually, No. I know and understand that there are many people who through no fault of their own are unable to provide for their healthcare needs. I sympathize with them and fervently believe society should provide a safety net to ensure their needs are met. On the other hand, there are an equal or higher number of citizens who are simply content to let others pay for their needs. I find it irresponsible to encourage them, especially if their loyalty is monetized and available to the highest bidder.
    where did you get your information that an equal or higher number of Medicaid or other government health recipients are gamers rather than worthy recipients. I am curious to see your source.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    where did you get your information that an equal or higher number of Medicaid or other government health recipients are gamers rather than worthy recipients. I am curious to see your source.
    +1. Given how hideously expensive healthcare is when it isn't subsidized by an employer I'm curious as well.

There has been another unsavory incident, this time on American Airlines (much greater of a concern in the 85006 as American Airlines is one of the big players at the Phoenix Airport) involving an overly aggressive flight attendant going off on a female passenger with crying children. It seems as if American Airlines handled the incident MUCH better than United handled theirs, I'll give them that and I doubt protests against American will be organized, and if they are, I will not attend as I believe I don't have standing to engage in activism based on the facts.

I guess the overall point of this post is that air travel is just a nightmare overall these days - though I will say I've flown Southwest and never once felt this on Southwest - and I will say that on my flights in 2015 with British Airways, TAP Portugal, and Iberia, I did not feel this either. Rob

I flew back to the USA on Iceland Air yesterday.

I helped with one minor medical event (elderly lady couldn't make it up the steep stairs to the craft, slipped, gashed her leg - I caught her as she was falling, kept injuries to the "minor" level, and cleaned up the wound for her.).

Another passenger twisted a knee badly in-flight, I did assessment, provided what treatment was possible in the air, splinted the limb so she could be more comfortable and get off the plane, and called ahead when we landed in Seattle to get Someone Who Cared to meet her for transport to somewhere to deal with her knee properly, as she'd already had multiple knee surgeries on that knee. Frankly, most of the treatment consisted of calming the patient down, and chatting with her multiple small children as we were working - we had one of the kids help "fix Mommy", and the kid seemed so very empowered and proud of herself.

The flight attendants offered to take my details down, so they could reimburse me for the supplies I used, which I thought was a nice touch, though not necessary. But they did talk me into some of those nice Icelandic mini-hamburgers.

So, not so much of a nightmare, at least for me. Glad I always pack along at least some minimal medical supplies - gloves, gauze, some Coflex tape. (TSA has never hassled me about this, oddly, though the gear could have other quite obvious practical uses...) And also glad I carry appropriate ID, they seemed very intent on seeing some sort of medical ID before allowing access to the patient, and the Captain had to give the OK to proceed. They were very well organized upon arrival, they had trained staff with a special aisle-chair to evacuate the patient down the narrow aisle, so I got to see a new-to-me piece of gear.

(Also of note for Iceland Air's customer service - I arrived at Helsinki airport *far* too early, and was condemned, I thought, to sitting outside security until someone arrived to open up their counter so I could check my bag. One of their pilots happened to wander past, took pity on me, opened up their counter with the help of the Aeroflot person at the next counter, and checked my bag for me, so I could get to the secure side of the airport, where the nice restaurants were. An unnecessary but appreciated kindness.)

Thread Information