Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Peaceful protest is just a way to publicly register concerns. Anyone who would "vote the bums in" because others turned out to demonstrate would undoubtedly have voted them in regardless.

Protest is just one way to be an activist, obviously. Most of us who protest also write letters, contribute to causes, make calls and go door to door, attend town hall meetings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    So stock is at all time high. I guess investors are not worried about the protest from the 85006. So much for bankrupting the company.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    So stock is at all time high. I guess investors are not worried about the protest from the 85006. So much for bankrupting the company.
    Or the protests and outrage pushed them into crisis management and they happened to handle the crisis appropriately (ie. changing policies). If there had been no protest, what would have happened to their stock? Would it have risen because they mishandled the passenger?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Investors are looking for a return on their investment. United is not going under, people are going to continue to fly with them. I don't believe anyone thinks they handled it very well. As I said earlier, this will soon be forgotten as this was an isolated insident.

The majority of the people will be most interested in the cost of the flight than the carrier. And they will continue to accept being crammed into smaller seats and put up with more hassells as long as it's cheap. I hate to fly commercial these days, many don't even have first class seats anymore.

Something that is wonderful - and I believe most here would agree with me on this one point if nothing else - what the United Airlines Brand fiasco has done is to energize and motivate the travelling public to record and download any action an airline performs that is over the top....no excuses will work going forward, people will record, download, and let the court of public opinion roast a given brand. Couldn't happen to a more deserving industry, and my hope going forward is that such behavior spreads to all facets of public American life. As Martha Stewart used to say, It's A Good Thing. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Couldn't happen to a more deserving industry, ...
    Really?

Of all the industries engaged in troublesome acts in this county, the *airline* industry is the most deserving of being "roasted"???

Fascinating. Hey, did I tell you about the large xylene production facility the airline industry is opening up right in the middle of some very sensitive and irreplaceable tidal wetlands here? And the airline industry's plans to send hundreds of tanker ships full of the stuff through a National Monument, some of the most pristine and productive waters in the country? Without so much as a rescue tug on call to keep the tankers from running onto any of the hundreds of nearby reefs or rocks should they suffer mechanical issues, which would cause an environmental disaster that would make the Exxon-Valdez spill look tame.

I'll keep my smart-phone charged, so I can Youtube all the dead wildlife. That'll show those airlines.

Damn those airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Really?

Of all the industries engaged in troublesome acts in this county, the *airline* industry is the most deserving of being "roasted"???

Fascinating. Hey, did I tell you about the large xylene production facility the airline industry is opening up right in the middle of some very sensitive and irreplaceable tidal wetlands here? And the airline industry's plans to send hundreds of tanker ships full of the stuff through a National Monument, some of the most pristine and productive waters in the country? Without so much as a rescue tug on call to keep the tankers from running onto any of the hundreds of nearby reefs or rocks should they suffer mechanical issues, which would cause an environmental disaster that would make the Exxon-Valdez spill look tame.

I'll keep my smart-phone charged, so I can Youtube all the dead wildlife. That'll show those airlines.

Damn those airlines.
    When you say "here" I am assuming the PNW? I used to work at a screen printing shop in a suburb just outside of Seattle from the late 70's to mid 80's and handled xylene a lot. Also acetone and a whole host of other wonderful (not) chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    When you say "here" I am assuming the PNW? I used to work at a screen printing shop in a suburb just outside of Seattle from the late 70's to mid 80's and handled xylene a lot. Also acetone and a whole host of other wonderful (not) chemicals
    Yes, the Tesoro facility in Anacortes. They'll be shipping through the Salish Sea, and anchoring a small fleet of the vessels in Anacortes. Should be lovely. Damn those airlines.

Still waiting for the funding, for my "mandated" cell phone from a certain zip code.