Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ??? Bae, with all due respect, ???, how did you go from a mandatory smartphone to armed agents of the state, from zero to sixty in less than five seconds? Just trying to understand. Rob
    Words have meaning. "Mandatory" has a meaning.

You used it. What do you think it means?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Do you understand what happens when "mandatory" gets enforced against a non compliant person?

Do you understand your moral skin-in-the-game when you ask that something be made "mandatory" in our laws?
    Ok then, to be clear: I meant mandatory in the sense that to have a fully charged smartphone on you at all times would be an act of common sense in a country such as the United States. So Mandatory here equals conforming to common sense. Not to armed agents of the state. I hope this is now clear? Rob

PS I came back to add that the smartphone video taken aboard that infamous United Airlines plane? A wonderful bit of human rights video in the sense that without it, the United Airlines Brand would be free to continue to victimize paid passengers.

Ok then, to be clear: I meant mandatory in the sense that to have a fully charged smartphone on you at all times would be an act of common sense in a country such as the United States. So Mandatory here equals conforming to common sense. Not to armed agents of the state. I hope this is now clear? Rob
    That is why I asked the second question in the post you responded to:

" Mandatory? As in, with force of law? "

Thank you for clarifying your Humpty-Dumpty approach to language.

That is why I asked the second question in the post you responded to:

" Mandatory? As in, with force of law? "

Thank you for clarifying your Humpty-Dumpty approach to language.
    We all have our flaws, Bae. At least in my case, of the two of us, I am the one doing something for human rights via showing up at the airport to protest the recent United Airlines sitch. I'm doing something......can you make that statement? This is meant as food for thought and not criticism. Rob

We all have our flaws, Bae. At least in my case, of the two of us, I am the one doing something for human rights via showing up at the airport to protest the recent United Airlines sitch. I'm doing something......can you make that statement? This is meant as food for thought and not criticism. Rob
    I've been in Norway and Finland for about a month doing fieldwork, in part documenting LGBTQ traditions in the Sami shamanic practices. And in my spare time visiting the various Resistance, War, and Holocaust museums/centers in the cities.

So, no, nothing as amazing as protesting United Airlines for the outrage-of-the-day...

I've been in Norway and Finland for about a month doing fieldwork, in part documenting LGBTQ traditions in the Sami shamanic practices. And in my spare time visiting the various Resistance, War, and Holocaust museums/centers in the cities.

So, no, nothing as amazing as protesting United Airlines for the outrage-of-the-day...
    Fair enough, Bae...you are out there doing something and even though we don't often agree, I do respect that. That said, my protest against United Airlines goes beyond The Outrage Of The Day category......it is completely unacceptable that a paid passenger could be treated this way. Believable, as I see America for what it is, but still very much unacceptable, and at a level way way way beyond Outrage Of The Day. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

For many, if not most of us, emigrating is not possible, so we do what we can to change the system. Including protesting.
    I have no problem with protesting, well, protesting done smartly. I engage in private protests daily through my choices of companies I support, movies I will not pay to watch or philosophies I refuse to accept as mainstream. This all seems right and proper to me.

In this particular case, protesting United Airlines for their foolishness seems proper as well, although I don't understand all of the ancillary motivations Rob has mentioned. A stupid action by one company and it's agents is seemingly seen as an assault on social classes and a condemnation of an entire country, not just by Rob but according to him, by an entire zip code as well. It doesn't pass the reasonable person test.

Based upon years of commentary through hundreds of public posts on this forum railing against a long held perception of second class citizen status (starting at the age of 8, or sometimes 10, it seems to vary), I'm thinking a little root cause analysis may be in order.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think, after many years, that I understand inherently why this country does not work for me. Strangely enough being part of this board has helped me to understand this.
    So you looked in the mirror, read your own posts and realized it isn't the world, but you.
    Oh wait, back to what others consider delusional behavior....

My in laws do wish to leave the US (my husband's parents) and even my mother is thinking this country is getting to be too much for her to deal with - the United Airlines incident was just one of many things making her feel ill at ease about remaining in the United States. It would be easier for her to remain here given her age of 75 - she's getting up there to adjust to a new society, you know?
    Well, they aren't on here, so no, we don't know. All I could say from that is they may be not wanting to argue with you and patting you on your head and sending you on your way, or they could be actually agreeing with you.
    No, she is your excuse, crutch, self imposing restriction you will use to complain, until she passes, and then you will probably use the excuse "I am getting up there in years, and it is easier". If she really wanted to, then it would be more uncomfortable to stay then to go, this goes for you as well.
    Excuses, excuses, excused. Life isn't easy and

Ummm.....you really are OK with Dr. Dao being blooded up and violently dragged off that United Airlines flight???
    Can you show anyone's actual words who said that here? Self delusion I think, and wanting to put words in peoples mouths.

With all due respect, Float On, I am going to agree to disagree with you. If for no other reason, I see protesting as a very good thing in the sense that is a relief valve for everyday people confronted with the true inequality and injustice that the United States dishes out while hypocritically calling itself a beacon of freedom and opportunity. Perhaps protesting in and of itself will not accomplish much, but if this relief valve were to be taken away, imagine how much more violence and crime there would be.

I do agree with your point about professional protesters to a point - but also I disagree, too. Let me explain. Last Fall I participated in a few protests of the Wells Fargo Brand when their illegal behaviors were brought to light. Now that my season is winding down and I have a little more time, and now that heinous injustice has taken place about this United Airlines plane in question, I am protesting against United Airlines, too. Does this make me a "professional" protester? Where is the line drawn as to what constitutes protesting "professionally"? I deserve better, and I hold myself to a higher standard. This is non negotiable for me.
    Really, a smartphone that is fully charged can be such an effective tool against what America has become that I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory that all adults have one on them at all times for self protection. Rob
    Protesting is about freedom of speech, assembly and expression. It does not mean get your way, or things are always fair, or even that you have a choice in the matter (some things are not your responsibility or right). Professional protester is a job, with pay of some kind. You "season" leaves you open for a "season" to get that gig. You hold yourself to such a high standard as "lower social class", good grief!
    By the way, where is my check from you for my mandatory smart phone. You mandate it, you supply it and the funds for it, you better get off the board and find a better paying or work more hours job, since you have multiple people here, you will be supplying. And my phone choice is a Blackphone if I have to carry a smartphone.

With all due respect, I disagree. I won't be forgetting this incident ever - not for the remainder of my life. Should United Airlines ever come up in conversation for the remainder of my life, I will say something along the lines of - yeah, that airline that likes to see their passengers viciously attacked - or something similar. Here is a case in point. I have for many years advised people to avoid State Farm insurance as over 20 years ago they lost a lawsuit in regards to discrimination against female employees. I have been able to steer a few customers away from State Farm over the years by advising them of this lawsuit and by asking if this is a company that would like to subsidize, given their discriminatory nature as proven via the years ago lawsuit. Point being - I don't let such go and have no problem both remembering such incidents and in using them against a particular brand in question. I consider this a public service of sorts....kind of like friends don't let friends drive drunk, but in this case, friends don't let friends fly United's hostile and threatening skies. Rob
    This means your not rewarding changed behavior, not that your punishing them for bad behavior, as that is what the lawsuit is. I don't understand how you think you will find any company of size that everybody will only do things you agree with, or there is no bad people in. By that standard, did you ever steal anything? (as a kid, early lesson, taken a pen or pencil from work, etc) Iris Lillies view that you put words in her mouth by your title, instead of protesting is good for MY soul. Well now your a thief and should have no rights to this board, as no one appointed you to speak for them here.
    Forgetting, forgiving, and rewarding positive behaviors are not the same things.

Ok then, to be clear: I meant mandatory in the sense that to have a fully charged smartphone on you at all times would be an act of common sense in a country such as the United States. So Mandatory here equals conforming to common sense.
    Common Sense is an oxymoron, that people can't even agree to what it means. I view it as more important to be able to pay my bills, support myself, etc. then to have and electronic phallus that I see people stroking all day, instead of doing their work. I know I find trying to pull myself up from working class (and to heck with social class), as something I would consider common sense. I also see learning and trying to use language properly so people actually know what I am saying, common sense.

Rob, I don't know many people that think that what was done to the doctor was right. However, to hope an entire company folds by the actions of a few employees is ridiculous. These big companies employ many people and shit is going to happen. Yes United's CEO responded stupidly and will probably lose his job and I am ok with that. This country give us the right to speak freely, protest, etc. People daily are risking their lives to get here. All countries have problems. There is no utopia because all humans are flawed as will be the governments, etc.

Thread Information