Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Back to the jist of this thread if I may: I'm thinking some of you have seen the full page ad taken out recently by the CEO of United Airlines detailing changes at United to stave off more PR nightmares? Does anyone here have any faith whatsoever that these changes will actually be implemented, if so, across the board, and that they will stick for any length of time? Count me as a no, based on my life experiences with Corporate America. But that's a predictable response coming from me - what do you'all think of United's claimed changes? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Back to the jist of this thread if I may: I'm thinking some of you have seen the full page ad taken out recently by the CEO of United Airlines detailing changes at United to stave off more PR nightmares? Does anyone here have any faith whatsoever that these changes will actually be implemented, if so, across the board, and that they will stick for any length of time? Count me as a no, based on my life experiences with Corporate America. But that's a predictable response coming from me - what do you'all think of United's claimed changes? Rob
    What I think: I am not invested in this and I care as little as I do for any other corporate action.

Yes I think they will really try to be better because it is costing them $. It sounds like your Mom was rightfully paranoid after what happened to her. However, I find it sad that she passed this down to you. I think paying attention to what is happening in the world is great but to always have a bag packed is paranoid. As I have said before there is no utopia. I have been married 3x's and all 3 served in the military as did most of the men in my family going back generations. I am proud of their sacrifice. All countries just like companies are made up of individuals with some doing bad and some good. One thing that does bother me is that the middle class is shrinking and more $ is being moved to the top 1%. To be a strong country we need more of a middle class. Rob, you identify with poor people and maybe that is one of the reasons you have not been as successful as you could have been since you did go to college. Also I came from a blue collar working family and there is never any shame in doing any type of work. Despite marrying young and having 3 kids I worked hard and ended up with a career. People come to the US because there is opportunity.

A few local employees dealt badly with a passenger behaving badly, and now the Company is spending some money to improve public perceptions. It's hard for me to get excited over this, and won't change my behavior in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    A few local employees dealt badly with a passenger behaving badly, and now the Company is spending some money to improve public perceptions. It's hard for me to get excited over this, and won't change my behavior in any way.
    Well, thats fine for you and me, we arent humanitarian activists, SJWs from the 85006.

- for me citizenship all boils down n to A). What is the tax rate, B). Is socialized medicine part of the deal, and C). What other social welfare is part of the deal, along with D). How much obsession to productivity is part of the deal (i.e., how much paid time off is human life worth?). ......
    I've seen enough in my 50 years that I could never be truly loyal to any one country - a given country would only be renting me for the time being, and to me, that's how people should view citizenship.
    What do you bring to the table for whichever country would be willing to "rent" you? I remember you told us once you'd be willing to volunteer a few hours a week at an animal shelter in return for free medical care, in effect providing dozens of dollars of value to a private entity in return for hundreds of dollars of return from the public. From an immigration perspective, are you worth the cost?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

P
    I am a banquet server and I live in the 85006.....in the eyes of this society I am nothing special, Bae. Moderator is just a part I play here, it has no real authority and since this board has calmed down a great deal from how things once were, nor should the role carry much if any authority. Rob
    Good luck finding a country that will meet your needs that will take you. To bad your mom didn't instill some personal responsibility into your DNA.

You can always get everyone in the 85006 to group together and pay for a group health insurance plan, you can even set up a sick leave pool. All it takes is money, but of coarse it means you may also have to pay.

Alan can carry the weight of only so many.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Good luck finding a country that will meet your needs that will take you. To bad your mom didn't instill some personal responsibility into your DNA.
    I just spent a fair bit of time in the Nordic nations. Nations that routinely score in the top rankings of "happiest places to live". Nations that have comprehensive arrays of "free" services they offer their citizens and immigrants. Nations that are pretty good about accepting immigrants.

It might be interesting for Rob to look at what these societies expect out of immigrants in return. And dig a bit into the history of how they got here, and where their system is heading.

I'll give him a wee hint though - if he shows up, hat-in-hand, with his attitude of "I'm shopping for a country that best serves me", without skills that are in demand or capital to invest in a business, it will be interesting, unless he's claiming refugee status... And even as a refugee, there are expectations.

My understanding was that most countries (including our immediate neighbors) review the value proposition of requests for citizenship more pragmatically than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I have to say If I disliked my country of birth, then I would live elsewhere, wher the values of said country suited me better! Feeling unhappy on a constant basis cannot be good for one's sense of well-being.
    It must feel strange to consider the possibility that you could change countries without moving an inch.

Thread Information