Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You could become a pro, there's money to be made in protest.
    Once we have a guaranteed basic income in place, we'll all have plenty of time to protest as much as we want! It'll be great!

And think of all the time we'll save grocery shopping!

I've always managed to attend protests around my work schedules; snark not appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've always managed to attend protests around my work schedules; snark not appreciated.
    when I worked in certain high profile areas, I just had to step outside as it was not infrequent occurrence. Danger there is the entire company you worked for can see you as you are right there protesting where nearly everyone in the company walks from the office to get to their car, so not without living dangerously.
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    You could become a pro, there's money to be made in protest.
    Alan, I really don't know how to take this comment....I really don't. Point here is that I am not after money when I protest, I am merely trying to make the world a better place by vocalizing my desire for change of some sort. There is nothing in it for me but clean and quite pure motives, nor would I want money for my protesting.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan, I really don't know how to take this comment....I really don't. Point here is that I am not after money when I protest, I am merely trying to make the world a better place by vocalizing my desire for change of some sort. There is nothing in it for me but clean and quite pure motives, nor would I want money for my protesting.....Rob
    So you could get money for supporting causes you believe it, pay taxes on it, and then give it to causes you support or use it to support yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Alan, I really don't know how to take this comment....I really don't.
    You mentioned you were passing up an opportunity for paid employment during the hours of the protest. My thought was that if you prefer outside events over income generating activities, maybe you could combine the two. There are groups which will pay you to stand around and look angry. Seems like a win/win to me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You mentioned you were passing up an opportunity for paid employment during the hours of the protest.
    Seems to me there would be higher bang-for-the-buck opportunities to protest just across the border in Mexico:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries...report-mexico/

paid protest as a force for social change - those with more money than time can support those with more time than money in advocating social change -

this is can go many ways,
    change doesn't happen/isn't enough:
    people with money continue to financially support people with time

change happens:
    time and money become more equitably distributed and people advocate only for causes that matter to them personally
    People with money are happy with the new balance and protest is carried on only by those who consider it the best use of their time
    people with time are happy with the new balance and stop protesting because they don't need the money
    people with time are less happy and people with money are more happy with the the new balance and people with time continue protesting but against their own interests because they can't afford principles

at least one of these is bad.

edited to add - one if my daughter's friends is essentially a paid protester. She is 26 years old, her parents still support her,and she travels around protesting and getting arrested. (Her parents are also covering her fines/bail.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    paid protest as a force for social change - those with more money than time can support those with more time than money in advocating social change -
    I guess it's the other side of the "bought-and-paid-for politician as a force for social change" coin :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    If get paid enough as a protester, you get called a lobbyist. And you get invited to come protest.

Thread Information