Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Left?

The Modern Left?

I met a new friend, somewhat recently. Well, he was merely an acquaintance, but we've hung out a bunch of times now, so I guess we're friends. It is all very bromantic. haha

Anyway, the dude is a leftist and self-identifies as a male feminist. He is married to a woman.

At lunch yesterday he was talking about his significant other. He always speaks positively of her, so he was not on a rant or anything. But she seemed like she'd be cool from what he has told me of her. So I said: "She seems really cool! You should introduce me to her. I'd like to get to know her as well."

He laughed for a second then seriously said: "She is not interested in meeting anymore straight white men for a while."

He is straight and white, so I quipped: "She gets enough straight white male from you, huh?"

But the point he made and re-made after my quip was that she currently has no interest in meeting or interacting with more straight white males. Though he said: "I know you all would get along great! Maybe in the future she'll want to meet."

While I think that she, and everyone else, should be able to freely associate or refrain from associating with anyone they want I do think it is worthwhile to examine her policy critically. Though I did not examine it with him, I merely said: "Fair enough."

But in my head I thought: "I doubt I'd ever have much interest in meeting her now, as I know she judges people by their sex, gender, and skin color rather than the content of their character."

Thoughts?

I agree. Unless her SO was mischaracterizing her, her checkbox mentality when it comes to human beings seems very strange.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree. Unless her SO was mischaracterizing her, her checkbox mentality when it comes to human beings seems very strange.
    Had he said: "I told her about your support for the free speech and she said that is just too conservative for her" then I would be like, okay, politics and prevent friendships, I suppose.

Or if he was like, "yeah, I mentioned how you are a fisherman and she is ethically opposed to fishing" I'd have been like, "I get it. Ethical difference can inhibit friendships."

But skin color? Gender? What the heck?! But this is the modern left and what identity politics gone toxic has done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Had he said: "I told her about your support for the free speech and she said that is just too conservative for her" then I would be like, okay, politics and prevent friendships, I suppose.

Or if he was like, "yeah, I mentioned how you are a fisherman and she is ethically opposed to fishing" I'd have been like, "I get it. Ethical difference can inhibit friendships."

But skin color? Gender? What the heck?! But this is the modern left and what identity politics gone toxic has done to it.
    Identity politics gone toxic.. true. That's one of the reasons I block one of my rabid left friends from my news feed. She gets to pick the few people-du-jour worthy of her homage and as for the rest it's nothing but rage and bitterness. Toxic indeed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So he assumed your gender, race, and orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    So he assumed your gender, race, and orientation?
    Hmmmm... I guess so. Though I have mentioned I am attracted to women.

Yppej
    I was at the YWCA the other day and a repairman arrived. The receptionist went on the intercom and announced to everyone, "A man is going to the third floor. A man is going to the third floor." (This is not the floor with locker rooms.) I thought it was bizarre, and so is your situation.

That is weird (the original post)

the ywca, is that normally a floor for women only? If so, an unexpected man might raise security concerns.

when I worked at Girl Scout camp years ago, my not yet dh was one of four men on site. He used to yell "male man" as he approach editing quarters. We told him that if he was going to do that, he should at least bring the mail.

Very weird. Your friend may be misunderstanding his girlfriend's stance: while feminists and humanists challenge the paradigms of straight-white-male power structures, they don't usually exclude straight white males from their ambits. I am myself a leftist, and my peer group is far left. We're male, female, ethnically diverse - and we talk to everyone.

It is a sad phenomenon, not limited to the Left - although identity politics can take it to an absurd level - that we seem to want to sort ourselves into homogeneous groups.

In this case, consider it a form of privilege to avoid associating with a mind that assigns quotas to her social circle.

Thread Information