Thread: I am hopping mad and want to do something about this!!

Thumbs up I am hopping mad and want to do something about this!!

Etsy is permitting a seller called "Youstupidbitch" to sell vile cards targeting female rape victims, women diagnosed with breast cancer, and mothers of special needs children. Apparently Etsy has refused to evict this seller from its site, despite its stated policy that obscene or harrassing material may not be offered. The congratulations on getting raped card is both obscene and harassing, the others are harassing, and the whole lot should qualify as hate crimes. Etsy's refusal to take action leaves a strong impression that its corporate executives agree with "Youstupidbitch's" messages, and actively supports their dissemination.
    Please visit Change.org's website and sign the petition.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/view...s_from_website

Please visit Change.org and sign the petition

That's horrible. I signed.

Wonder if this seller is a member of the Westboro Church. Maybe Etsy is afraid of a right to free speech lawsuit.

The seemed to have taken down the "rape" card but have something similar about "being inappropriately touched."

I can't imagine that this artist is making sales of any significance.

When it is cards that picture Mohammad and say nasty things about him, that's when they'll have to worry, 'though not about any piddly lawsuit. Guns and mortar attacks, more like it.
    Last edited by iris lily; 1-3-11 at 10:30pm.

I had a look at the site. Most of the cards are sort of hip, cool and cruel. The ones about Down's Syndrome seem the most cruel to me. The ones you classified as Rape are strange, but could be taken a number of ways.

What I really think it that I wouldn't buy these cards, but i don't think they will be removed either. It is rather like a comedian's act; strange to most of us, but a sort of weird humour.

I have to wonder how many of these cards get sold. Some of them are quite funny, but only for the right person. The Valentine's Day ones seem clever in an odd way.

But for me, I would just let it be. I think a petition would act as a form of advertising in this case. Good luck with it though.

oh maybe I never saw the rape card, just the touched one.

They only have 2 feedback, so it doesn't appear that they're selling like hotcakes.

That is pretty crappy, I hope that the natural law of crap falls on them and the sell nothing plus lose friends over this.

Thread Information