Thread: Prime Ninister May has called for. general Election

Prime Ninister May has called for. general Election

Interesting times!

What does that mean in your political system?

The rules changed a while back meaning the sitting PM is no longer allowed to decide alone to call a General Election. The PM now has to gain a majority to go ahead. This is expected to happen today.

The parties then do their best to get votes. The election is called for early June with the added complication of local elections being already scheduled for May. I am ever thankful we don't have the long lead-in time that the US elections favours!

The Tories are miles ahead in all the polls. Despite the doom and gloom Remainers' views, the economy seems buoyant (although I know that may change radically as Brexit negotiations grind on) and Mrs May has stood firm on the question of a Scots Nats inspired second indpendance referendum, as well as nutty Corbyn, the leader of a Labour party which is in total disarray.

As I said... Interesting times!

I heard it as she is calling for a vote on Brexit. I just caught a headline on the radio, I guess I heard that wrong. But it did give me pause and I wondered what that meant.

Seems like a sound move. The polls and opposition party disarray would seem to make this a promising time to increase and extend her majority. A solid victory would take some wind out of the sails of domestic Brexit foot draggers, and make it more difficult for EU hardliners to exploit UK internal divisions. The Guardian's against it, so that's another point in her favor.

Unless I'm missing something, she appears to be risking little for some significant potential benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, she appears to be risking little for some significant potential benefits.
    On the surface this seems to be the case. I suspect David Cameron may have thought something similar, though.

David Cameron was what we call a 'switherer'. He swithered in the wind of the latest poll result he received, and he cravenly offered the SNP additional powers to try to sway the Referendum result. The Independence Referendum showed most Scots did not want to leave the Union.

I was a Brexiteer but really expected the result to be 'Stay'.

Thread Information