Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot water fail,

hot water fail,

So there is no hot water in my apartment. I am in the process of signing a new lease with increased rent. This morning I could NOT take a freezing cold shower so I sponged off and used dry hair shampoo. I feel gross but my hair looks fine. So I got home and thought I would take a nice warm shower before bed so I sleep better, and still no hot water. I have to be back at work at 6:30 am, we cannot wear hats at work, and I really want my shower.

My back up plan is to bring a bag of shower stuff and go to the rec center after morning program and pay to take a shower. I cannot go another full day without one.

Had it happen at home and over $1,000 later had a new water heater.

What did the apartment manager say? I have to have a morning shower or feel gross all day too.

I got home at 8:30 pm and have to leave at 6 am, so I will see if it works this morning and call when they are open but there isn't much I can do right now.

I got brief and lukewarm.
    Last edited by Zoe Girl; 4-14-17 at 7:52am.

I hope you have hot water by now, but if you don't, check your state regulations for landlords. In many states, landlords are required to provide hot water, or the means for heating water, and if they don't fix it quickly, they are subject to fines and stuff.

It has been on and off all day, I did find a backup however! My friend lives across the street from our meditation group location we have on Mondays. So if I have to do another short shower or sponge option I can have a nice shower at her place before meditation tomorrow. I hope I don't have to.

Zoe, here's what you do...heat up a kettle full of water. Put it in a bucket or dishpan in your bathtub. Add cold water if needed to cool it down. Use a cup to wet your hair, shampoo, rinse. Use the same water for a sponge bath. I did this a couple of years ago when I had no hot water from what turned out to be a frozen pipe. Worked pretty well. Of course, I have short hair, so it doesn't take much water to wash my hair.

Hope you can get it fixed soon.

probably the heating element.........a fairly easy and inexpensive fix for the landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    probably the heating element.........a fairly easy and inexpensive fix for the landlord.
    Did I miss where she said it was an electric hot water heater and not gas?

Yeah! I had a hot shower today! I have had some lukewarm, some freezing cold camping showers and some days with dry shampoo. Tradd I don't have a bathtub in my bathroom and I am bathing at 5 am but did the basic washcloth spot cleaning like you said in the shower. I also have short hair and can get away with one day of spray dry shampoo.

It is a large apartment building, 7 floors with 12 apartments on each floor, and built in the early 60's. I don't suppose it has been an easy fix. Nice thing is that we have really thick walls (our neighbor is a 97 year old woman).

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post

It is a large apartment building, 7 floors with 12 apartments on each floor, and built in the early 60's. I don't suppose it has been an easy fix. Nice thing is that we have really thick walls (our neighbor is a 97 year old woman).
    Are old ladies noisy (or at least this one)? I suppose if their hearing is bad they might crank up the tv or something?

Thread Information