Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The March for Science

The March for Science

How do you make a movement out of a method? Why not a March for Double Entry Bookkeeping? I'll bet that would inspire the masses to make this a better world.

It's sad that enough people reject the method, or at least the results that method comes up with, to make the attempt to create such a movement necessary.

What march?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Is this really a "celebration of science" or just the usual suspects marching under a different flag? I have to admit that I'm as suspicious of people claiming to speak for "science" or "truth" in political discourse as I am of those claiming to speak for God.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    How do you make a movement out of a method? Why not a March for Double Entry Bookkeeping? I'll bet that would inspire the masses to make this a better world.
    Censor it. Vilify it. Cut funding for it. Push "alternative facts" as a viable method.

There won't be a "march" per se here in Boston (it will just be on the Commons, but many groups coming are having their own marches).

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Censor it. Vilify it. Cut funding for it. Push "alternative facts" as a viable method.

Push for non-scientific ideas like creationism to be taught in science classes.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Push for non-scientific ideas like creationism to be taught in science classes.
    I realize stupid things like that happen in some times and places, but does establishing "Science" as yet another victim group really advance its cause?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I realize stupid things like that happen in some times and places, but does establishing "Science" as yet another victim group really advance its cause?
    Is there a different solution to that problem that you think would be more effective?

If nobody supports science in whatever way works best for them, people in power feel free to dismiss scientific findings as "fake news" and continue with bu$ine$$ as usual. If they know we care and are watching their actions--at least they'll be more circumspect, I guess. I don't always agree with (especially industry-supported) science, because money often leads to corruption, but it's the best tool we have, and a day to celebrate it is more than justified, in my view.

Thread Information