Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand people!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I know struggling people in the 85006 who do this - there are a number of airport hotels not far away from this neighborhood that often have job fairs with food and refreshments served. These folks have some nice clothes to wear for these events - bought secondhand of course, and can appear as if professional and even have resumes if anyone asks but the goal is the free food and drink and the swag, some of which can be later sold. Ethical? You tell me. I look at how corporations treat workers these days and I also think two wrongs don't make a right and I look at the struggles in the 85006 - and I can understand why this takes place.

Is this any different than going to my credit union's annual meeting just for the door prizes (I won $50 last year and $75 this year) and the free spread? I really believe people are finding small creative ways to even their scores with the system, and before you think that's not right, might I suggest pointing the finger back at America and questioning what causes such behavior in the first place? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I know struggling people in the 85006 who do this - there are a number of airport hotels not far away from this neighborhood that often have job fairs with food and refreshments served. These folks have some nice clothes to wear for these events - bought secondhand of course, and can appear as if professional and even have resumes if anyone asks but the goal is the free food and drink and the swag, some of which can be later sold. Ethical? You tell me. I look at how corporations treat workers these days and I also think two wrongs don't make a right and I look at the struggles in the 85006 - and I can understand why this takes place. Is this any different than going to my credit union's annual meeting just for the door prizes (I won $50 last year and $75 this year) and the free spread? I really believe people are finding small creative ways to even their scores with the system, and before you think that's not right, might I suggest pointing the finger back at America and questioning what causes such behavior in the first place? Rob
    You are a member of your credit union and as such, you are their intended audience for door prizes. In the big picture I do not much care about people who glean free food (not including frugal-one's alarming example here, that was rude and pushy!)

There is never all that much great stuff at these events. When working at the downtown library I helped with several wine and cheese events, and the taxpayers don't fund good wine or much beyond cheese squares and mediocre crackers, let me tell ya. Haha.

I still remember being young, frugal, and nursing a beer all night in order to dance and take part in the free happy hour food.

I think what OP is describing is really creepy. Unfortunately, our local library is a gathering place for many people who seem to have addiction issues they are not dealing with, especially in the winter, as it is warm. Who knows that her problem was? I would not participate anymore, which is sad, but life is too short to meet up with that kind of stress. As I age, I have much less tolerance for bizarre situations as in my experience, they can turn violent. (Not saying the library food get together is going to get violent!)
    The woman should be asked not to participate. But that never seems to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Yeah, I saw what had to be a homeless woman in Whole Foods once, going around sampling the free food.

frugalone........what did the lady say to you, after you told her to please wait until after everyone had eaten? Did she collect other foods? Was she even part of the cooking club? Very strange.
    The gal who took the food actually stopped and later went back for more after everyone had eaten. She actually works at the library. There was another guy who just showed up (he also works at the library) and said he had to be somewhere and could not make anything. I would not come if I didn't bring something. I don't get it. This guy previously brought his wife too even though she didn't make anything. The person from the library who "hosts" this event doesn't make or bring anything either but eats too. I think that is strange also. I really enjoy the other people but think it is time to move on.

Some people simply cannot resist temptation. I think it's a disorder, or just plain social incompetence. My cousin had all her heirloom tomatoes she had tended and babied stolen from the community garden where she rents a plot---it's supposed to be for those on limited incomes. There just doesn't seem to be a respect for leaving alone that which does not belong to you. Out for no. 1.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

One of my sons just confessed to me that last summer he and a few friends would meet at various hotels for breakfast...the free breakfast for guests...on a daily basis! I was so mad at him. He said they never were asked if they were guests or not.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I may be cynical but I believe there are people who look for free food events. When I worked at the university, we would have buffets for lecturer guests. People would show up, load up their plates and leave the room. I hear the same thing happens at hotels during special events.
    My DH was a video producer and AARP was one of his main clients. He would shoot senior citizen events with speakers, and he used to come home and tell me how the seniors would just stuff their pockets and pocketbooks with the bagels and other food provided. I really hope I NEVER become THAT senior. I remember my grandmother-in-law once trying to steal the flatware!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My DH was a video producer and AARP was one of his main clients. He would shoot senior citizen events with speakers, and he used to come home and tell me how the seniors would just stuff their pockets and pocketbooks with the bagels and other food provided. I really hope I NEVER become THAT senior. I remember my grandmother-in-law once trying to steal the flatware!
    I would like to think these aren't desperately hungry old people; what with the price of pharmaceuticals these days, you never know.

The perils of free food. At my workplace, people will go around sniffing out (no pun intended) areas that have food out for holidays, birthdays, etc and help themselves, even if they were not in the department.

At my community garden we have had thefts of entire crops: one person had all his onions stolen and I mean ALL of them. I could see taking one or two if needed (not that it's OK in any case) but all of them? One year everyone had their pumpkins stolen during a bad year for the local pumpkin crops. Seems that some people view the garden as a place to help themselves, some are truly needy and we have no problem with that. But we prefer that they ask and not just take.

Quote Originally Posted by saguaro View Post
    The perils of free food.
    And you're not immune from it even in your own family!

We had a scheduling conflict one year--DD was showing some artwork in lower Manhattan, and it was BIL's birthday. So we decided to combine the two events. MIL had JUST died the previous summer, so we wanted to give BIL a nice birthday (they had lived together for BIL's entire life). We decided to take him to a steak house. We agonized over the online options, and I offered Delmonico's. DH nixed it because the menu had a "Porterhouse for Two" and he was afraid his brother would order that steak for himself: it was $90.

I told DH, don't be ridiculous! and we decided on Delmonico's, as it was right near my daughter's art exhibit.

Well, you KNOW the end of this story. The waiter goes around the table and collects our order, and BIL says "I'll have the Porterhouse for Two."

To the point of the OP, what was he thinking??? Who does this?? Don't these people have any common courtesy? WHO would order a $100 meal when someone else is paying for it??? We laugh about it at this point--but we now take him to Outback on his birthday. If his birthday were in the summer, it would a grill on the barbie.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information