Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online Shopping Makes Suckers of Us All

If I think something is worth the price, I'll buy it - if I think it isn't worth it I won't. The advantage of online shopping is I can do it from my desk instead of wasting my time and resources going to a brick and mortar to see what they might have. And I have resources at my fingertips to research what I want to buy.

Also, a lot of what I buy used is also bought online.

Camel Camel Camel is a useful tool.

I watched a set of Prismacolor pencils on Amazon go from eightyish to over a hundred dollars for months before I bit at the low end. I don't mind the game. Shopping in person is problematic, as many have pointed out, so I'm grateful to have a wide variety of goods at my fingertips--with the added bonus that Amazon is local. (Did I mention I came within an eyelash of working there in the nineties? I couldn't get past the hours/transportation issue.)

I am almost at all online shopping except fresh food now. I dislike going into any store. If I think Oh I really need something now, I will head to a store and then grumble at the selection/price/people/service. I love Amazon Prime and Pantry. If only it had been around years ago when we lived Out There. I was eBay shopper for years, now I hardly ever visit there.

Old way of shopping has gone the way of the Dinosaur for me.

And I think B&M stores are at least partly to blame. I've hit my local Bartell's Drugstore multiple times looking for common items in the last couple of years and came up empty-handed. Rather than dragging myself up and down store aisles, it's much easier to just pull up Amazon and let my trackball do the walking--complete with multiple choices and product reviews. I'm with BikingLady--about the only physical shopping I do is for food.

i'm with bikinglady too. I go to safeway multiple times per week (it's right across the street) and the local butcher and fruit/veggie stand equally often. And costco once every couple of months. We don't even go to petsmart anymore after SO found an online place that has the same cat food cheaper. Walgreens.com sells the few toiletries I need cheaper than I can get them in their bricks and mortar store. Most of my clothes come from llbean.com. And for everything else my first go to store is amazon. If amazon doesn't have it I do a google search and end up buying from places like headsetpartsunlimited.com (yes, that's a real place, and yes, I've purchased stuff from them twice...)

I think there are also different viewpoints that affect our shopping habits. I do not generally buy clothes or shoes online (with exceptions, aka specialty or not available locally) as I generally want to know things fit, and/or need them when I go for them. I also am not an online grocery shopper, although I keep getting CC offers where they would like to give you money back to shop at your local gas stations/grocery stores/restaurants (things that are used up before you get the bills, and that allow them to build a better profile of you). I am not signed up for those grocery store discount cards, where your offering them tracking.
    Due to all the online shopping, a local business has grown in my lifetime. They are a damaged freight seller, who has gone from major discounts, to now, sometimes more then retail. (know what your looking for/at or you will get taken).
    Books are better used. Movies as well, after they have been out a while (I really wish blockbuster would have stuck around as an OLD movie store, and give up competing in the new movie section).
    Other stuff, is all over the place, from tools (New old stock, used, auction sites) to stuff at garage sales. (which are a little hard to buy from online)

WE do a big grocery shop monthly and then go on a weekly basis to pick up fresh fruit, veggies, milk, etc. These little trips are super quick as we have most things we need. If I buy the same style/brand of shoes, jeans etc I buy online and have the dog food delivered to the door.

Clothing, Best guess is just under 100% online. I buy from the sites that I know and the sizing of. Shoes are almost to that % now. I may be the reason B&M stores are fading. Today is blood work day for my beloved mix Polly. I will get the script and order online also. I know WM can fill pet scripts but one click and done.

Being disabled, I order everything online, including groceries from my local store. I thank God I'm living in this time of technology as it makes my life so much easier, and I don't have to ask my kids to shop for me.

I love buying online. It seems like we have packages on the front porch daily. I made my first purchase of a handgun this week online. Very easy, ordered on Monday and had it Wednesday at noon. Local gun shops did not have the one I wanted and I was able to save some money also, so it worked out great.

But i do probably buy more than I would otherwise since it's so easy.

Thread Information