Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: making a living from gentrification

making a living from gentrification

So Colorado has been booming, we talk a lot about the impact on us. The rents are going up, the roads are packed with cars (of course we don't think they can drive) and from the east coast the different culture seems rude to us. But as my son pointed out that means there are a lot of more affluent hipster types that are looking for food that is healthy, locally sourced and small batch type of food. He is getting experience by working as an assistant meat and seafood manager and can cook very well. So he is going to experiment with making sausage, small batch with locally sourced meat. He did a lot of research on where he would buy meat the other day. I know there is a lot to this project but it is totally with working at his current job.

Meanwhile I have interest in my crochet toys (octopus specifically) being sold in a fancy kid store. I am going to visit next week with some of my work. It seems like I could make money from the affluent parents who want homemade toys. I would love to see some crochet dragon puppets sell!

Hmmmm sounds like Portland...

ZG
    This article may be of interest re octopii!

http://www.prima.co.uk/family/kids/n...mature-babies/

Yes Portland would be a good comparison. We have already had Boulder but now Denver seems to be affected. Of course I raised my kids in this hippie/punk combo that has actually prepared them for the world!

I read the article, so cool. I am making mine out of acrylic yarn but I really love to work with cotton so I may do some of those. I did one complete one yesterday while not feeling as at the same time, the next one I am going to time to see how long it takes.

Zoe Girl, your market is probably going to want natural fiber yarn.

I agree chicken lady, I am doing this orders I have from my current yarn stash but when I talk to this store I will get some natural fibers. I looked it up, it is easier to find batting than stuffing however. And I can raise the price in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    ZG
    This article may be of interest re octopii!

http://www.prima.co.uk/family/kids/n...mature-babies/
    Ha! I love cephalopods of all kinds, but those would give me nightmares. Clever, innovative idea though...

Hmm...sounds like Austin. I think there are tons of business opportunities to be made on wealthier people. I saw so many neat things come to fruition before we left and was always amazed at what wealthier people did not have the time or inclination for - grocery shopping, dog walking, home organization, errands. There were even people who were paid to stand in line to place an order at Franklin's BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Hmm...sounds like Austin. I think there are tons of business opportunities to be made on wealthier people. I saw so many neat things come to fruition before we left and was always amazed at what wealthier people did not have the time or inclination for - grocery shopping, dog walking, home organization, errands. There were even people who were paid to stand in line to place an order at Franklin's BBQ.
    So many of the new apps that my friends (and SO) use are geared towards this type of thing. Things like Grubhub to order food to be delivered from nearby restaurants or Rinse to schedule laundry pickup/delivery. They aren't revolutionizing the world but they do make life easier for people with more money than time.

WE are seeing that here as well with wealthy people from Cali moving in.

Thread Information